"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 05-13-2009, 06:42 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I season my meat with a paste of olive oil, kosher salt, and garlic. Then I add a fair amount of horseradish and Worcestershire. I want the burger thick so I can cook them rare. The above ingredients enhance the beef flavor. The horseradish doesn't really taste anything like horseradish after it's cooked - just has a great flavor. After that I simply want to melt a bit of provolone on it. When I put the burgers on the serving plate there's usually some juice that collects on the bottom. I like to dip the inside of my bun in it - THAT'S where all the flavor is!!!!! Lettuce and tomato are fine as I like the crunch of the lettuce and the flavor of the tomato. Nothing else is needed. If there's no lettuce and tomato that's fine too. It's about the meat in my book.

How could I forget the red onion!!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:03 PM   #12
Sous Chef

1/3lb of well seasoned meat, flattened out enough to cover sliced bread, topped with cheddar and brown mustard. Cooked at least medium-well (I don't feel comfortable cooking the ground beef I get to anything less).

Old 05-13-2009, 08:20 PM   #13
Executive Chef

We make 6 oz burgers. The taste of the meat is paramount. With cheeseburgers or bacon cheeseburgers we top with raw onion, perhaps some pickle slices and catsup. With plain burgers we top with raw onion, horseradish & mayo, and (if in season) sliced tomato. Either which way on a toased sesame bun.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:37 PM   #14
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I like a good balance. I love cheese, onions, dill pickle, tomato, Miracle Whip, mustard, and a little ketchup on a burger, but I want the meat to be the main flavor. If the burgers are done on the grill, I don't necessarily have to have cheese. I would put guacamole on all my burgers if I could afford it (the only two ingredients we have right now, from what I listed, are mustard and ketchup, but I can dream! lol). I had a burger at a place in Riverside, California that had green olives in the burger and thought it was really good, although I probably wouldn't want it like that every time. My favorite meat for the burger is buffalo, but good quality ground beef is good too. I love sesame seed buns or onion rolls for the bread.

Barbara
Old 05-13-2009, 08:39 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

not a big fan of beef, just so the pattie is not overcooked. don't do many at home cause cooking just for me. when i want a fast food burger i go to carls jr. and get the smaller version of the western bacon cheese burger. it has lettuce, tomato, mostly mayo . on it. just greasy enough to be good but not to kill me. lol
Old 05-13-2009, 10:46 PM   #16
Master Chef

I like my 1/4 lb. burger cooked just until the pink is gone...skillet or grill, seasoned only with S&P, turned only once, never mashed while cooking and preferably on a whole wheat bun. For condiments, I want S&P, a slice of Velveeta, sweet pickle relish and plain yellow mustard. If no Velveeta is available, any cheese will do.

A slice of juicy, garden-ripened beefsteak tomato makes it heaven.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:42 AM   #17
Senior Cook

In-n-Out's double-double with grilled onions, add pickles, is about the perfect burger, IMHO. Hey, if it was good enough for Julia Child, it's good enough for me. :)

SRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:57 AM   #18
Executive Chef

the burger experience for me is a multi item deal ... good ground beef, well seasoned , cooked med, with bacon, lettuce, tomato, dill pickle, sharp cheese of some type, mayo and spicy mustard. I want a quality bun that will stand up to this and not fall apart but be able to be chewed without everything falling out.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:01 PM   #19
Head Chef

Burger - big and juicy - no bun but slathered in blue cheese dressing with a side salad and potatoes of some kind, ideally crispy, freshly fried wedge-type chips. Now I'm hungry...
Old 05-14-2009, 12:59 PM   #20
Head Chef

Like them medium with mayo, tomatoes, pickles, onion, lettuce
sometime instead of lettuce some avacado.

I also like to take 2 thin pattys put blue cheese in the middle then seal them up good and fry or grill. blue cheese melts yumm yum

or even put salsa in the middle or mushrooms -- use your imagination

Tags
None