"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 08-03-2006, 08:02 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

I don't think it is clarified butter either. Probably just good ole oleomargarine.

Old 08-03-2006, 09:05 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwingen
... 1- The burgers were tasty and juicy. I am going to assume they are a 70/30 blend? I noticed the meat was reaL RED in color when they took it out of the fridge...
The mystery oil (my guess is margarine) is probably what made the burgers so juicy, although 70/30 certainly would not yield a dry burger.

The red color is more of a freshness indicator because, if I am not mistaken, the colorization is a result of some chemical, either gaseous or liquid, applied at the meat packing facility. The chemical is not a dye per se, but rather its application keeps the meat's natural color.

Tom

Old 08-03-2006, 11:55 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

The red color is the natural color, I think. If you have a package of hamburger, the surface may turn a brown color but when you "break" it, the meat below that will be quite red. I agree with Tom that there is a gas (pretty sure it would have to be inert, probably nitrogen) that can be injected into packages prior to sealing, particularly the new packaging coming directly to the stores in the plastic containers, that makes it retain the rosy color of the meat. I don't believe it ever goes beneath the surface.

Tags
None