"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 10-24-2013, 09:07 PM   #11
Senior Cook

There is a marvelous little family butcher shop in the next county. They deliver to our town. They butcher local hogs and beef. Their meat is excellent, but I always have to request special cuts as they cut a chuck roast about1 1/2" thick (technically that's a steak). I request 4" chuck roasts. They have wonderful ground beef, stew meat (as tender as tips!) and great beef short ribs. I'm calling in an order tomorrow. There is another butcher that I go to for marvelous bacon and sausage. It's one of the few perks of living in a very rural area. We eats lots of meat, as my hubby is a meat and potatoes man. I also go to a little green grocer for fresh produce. Got 2 beautiful little sugar pumpkins and some parsnips today. I do shop grocery stores, but not for the fresh stuff! I hate the huge supermarkets, but there are no ethnic markets within 80 miles for things like sesame oil, and such.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:14 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspberrymocha55 View Post
There is a marvelous little family butcher shop in the next county. They deliver to our town. They butcher local hogs and beef. Their meat is excellent, but I always have to request special cuts as they cut a chuck roast about1 1/2" thick (technically that's a steak). I request 4" chuck roasts. They have wonderful ground beef, stew meat (as tender as tips!) and great beef short ribs. I'm calling in an order tomorrow. There is another butcher that I go to for marvelous bacon and sausage. It's one of the few perks of living in a very rural area. We eats lots of meat, as my hubby is a meat and potatoes man. I also go to a little green grocer for fresh produce. Got 2 beautiful little sugar pumpkins and some parsnips today. I do shop grocery stores, but not for the fresh stuff! I hate the huge supermarkets, but there are no ethnic markets within 80 miles for things like sesame oil, and such.
My MIL grew up in Pike County, KY. As a child she remembered going with her mother to get freshly butchered meat. Her father owned a coal mine and she was the oldest of 14 kids.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:01 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
It is too late for the States. But don't ever give up the fight. Vermont has been fighting all big box companies. So far they have been successful. I hate Walmart for what it has done to small towns wherever they build. They destroy. They pay their workers minimum and keep their hours just below enough for them to qualify for benefits. I have yet to step foot in one and they are all around me.
Fortunately, Walmart in it's guise as ASDA can't get away with that sort of thing here, much as I expect it would like to. We have a legal minimum wage (not a lot but better than some people would get if it wasn't in place) and part-time workers are eligible for the same rights to sick pay, paid maternity leave etc., as full-timers.

Tesco, which is another big supermarket chain in the UK, is another set of sharks. Their main game play is to quietly buy up out of town sites and sit on them, sometimes for years, and then sneak in planning applications for huge stores when they think no-one is looking. In one case some years ago Tesco obtained planning permission for a site on the outskirts of Stockport (our nearest large-ish town) and when they had finished the building they said "Oops, it's 20% bigger than it should be. Sorry" And Stockport council's Planning Department let them get away with it on payment of a fine which probably didn't exceed a month's profits for the store!!

There was such an out-cry about it that, when it came to our little set-to with ASDA, the Planning Dept decided to support our campaign and refuse PP, added to which our local Member of Parliament had got involved at quite an early stage. ASDA could have appealed to a higher authority but backed down. It would have been very expensive for ASDA and would have created a lot more ill-feeling against them than there already was.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:23 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

When we lived in Taxes, we bought a three week old Herford calf from the culled herd. It went into a large pasture all by himself. He was strictly grass fed. Animals will not eat in the area where they poop. So about once a week I would go out to the pasture with a wheelbarrow and shovel and scoop up the poop. It went to the pile near the fence. What was left would deteriorate quickly and the area around it had beautiful tall grass for the animal. When we had it slaughtered, we had some beautiful tender meat. We had the slaughter truck come to where we lived, brought in the calf and he did the slaughtering and all the butchering. As part of the payment we allowed him to keep the heart, tongue and other parts we would not be using. He sold them to a Mexican store and made a pretty profit for it. Fine by me. At least nothing went to waste.

Tags
beef, mexican