"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 07-31-2013, 11:50 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Buying beef from Mexican mercados

i have lots of mexican grocery stores all around me and they all have really good prices on beef. i tried it one time, short ribs that i braised for over 6 hours and they never got tender. they were stringy like they were old.

after that trial i was told that the mexican markets buy old milk cows and that made sense, is there any truth to this?

and what about their pork/chicken

Old 08-01-2013, 12:00 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

We go to Mexico a lot. They are not noted for their beef, at least where we go. The better steak places import their beef from Argentina or the States. That said, pork and chicken are very popular, and exceptional. I would ask your store where they get their meat from. They may buy old milk cows, though it would all have to be USD inspected.

Our Mexican restaurants and markets here in the Midwest serve very good beef, pork, and chicken, but that's what we have around here.

I might give them another shot, maybe you got a bad batch.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I buy beef from Omaha Steaks. I buy goat from Mexican mercados.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

First, I wouldn't judge all Mexican markets by one purchase at one market.

Second, six hours is a very long time to cook short ribs.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:59 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Of all the Mexican/ Latino markets in my area, there are two I frequent. Both have old fashion meat counters/ butchers behind the glass cases. I haven't ever bought meat at either one. No reason. One has really long horizontal thin sliced, looks like flank steak, cut for fajitas or quick fries. How do they even cut it this thin? Both have good turn over, lots customers so the meats are probably fresh. I usually buy produce, like avocados 2/$1 vs $2 each at a regular market or limes 8$1. A regular big box grocery nearby has a huge Latin American section, and all aisles throughtout the store are marked bilingual. Which is where I tend to buy regular Mexican type foods as they are a bit cheaper over-all.

I can't say I order much beefy foods at Mexican restaurants. One I recall in particular, has some kind of hunk of meat roasted & kept in a warmer. They chop chop chop it to smithereens for tacos per order. Take out only. Those have been quite tasty.

I should check out the meats / prices at the mercados sometime.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:46 PM   #6
Half Baked

Check out Marina foods/grocery next time your in SJ. It is on Monterey@Capitol. I buy meat,seafood,Mexican deli,produce there all the time. They have beef tenderloin on sale pretty frequent for 5.99 or 6.99lb.Huge turnover so everything is fresh.Sometimes you just get a stringy cow, happens anywhere. The Chili rellenos in the deli are excellent,The golden pampano in the fish section are a fav and they usually have beef cheeks which are awesome if you haven't had them.
I can get goat,octopus,live frogs,lobsters,clams,catfish etc. They will break down the fish the way you want and even fry it for you if you want.

The market is a mix of Mexican and Asian, just like the neighborhood.

It is not the cleanest most updated place but ethnic markets seem to be thay way. They have Christmas ornaments hanging from the ceiling that are probably 6 years old. The neighborhood can be sketchy so go before dark.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:20 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97guns View Post
i have lots of mexican grocery stores all around me and they all have really good prices on beef. i tried it one time, short ribs that i braised for over 6 hours and they never got tender. they were stringy like they were old.

after that trial i was told that the mexican markets buy old milk cows and that made sense, is there any truth to this?

and what about their pork/chicken
I think you may have hit it on the head when you referred to cheap meat. It's a sad fact of life that with meat you usually get what you pay for. I tend to go to the better butcher and buy less meat. If it's good quality it tends to taste better and cook better so you eat less of it. Most of us eat too much meat anyway.

Some years ago I did quite a lot of dinner party catering and made terrines, pates and pies for restaurants and pub. I used to buy the meat I needed from the butcher I use now. Not cheap but I got a 10% discount. One night after the butcher had closed I got an urgent order from one of my regular customers for a consignment of steak pies so I had to go to a supermarket for the meat. I was surprised and pleased at how much less expensive it was than the stuff I usually bought - until I started to prepare it! By the time I'd trimmed off the gristle and fatty bits I had only 2/3rds of the original weight of meat and when I worked it out it was no cheaper than the good stuff from the usual butcher.

We have two butchers in the village and with the one I use you can point at a chop and ask where it came from and they will tell you the name of the farm.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:11 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

One of the things I like about England, is that you still have your village stores with someone behind the counter to help you. They know your name and what you like. We have a few of those stores, but they are far and few between. You really have to go rural to find one.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:23 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
One of the things I like about England, is that you still have your village stores with someone behind the counter to help you. They know your name and what you like. We have a few of those stores, but they are far and few between. You really have to go rural to find one.
We have to work hard to keep them. The village recently fought off an attempt by ASDA (owned by Walmart) to build a supermarket in a residential area away from the centre. It would have killed the small shops within a few months and with night-time deliveries would have been a nightmare for the householders near the store and it wouldn't have done much for property values either.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:00 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
We have to work hard to keep them. The village recently fought off an attempt by ASDA (owned by Walmart) to build a supermarket in a residential area away from the centre. It would have killed the small shops within a few months and with night-time deliveries would have been a nightmare for the householders near the store and it wouldn't have done much for property values either.
It is too late for the States. But don't ever give up the fight. Vermont has been fighting all big box companies. So far they have been successful. I hate Walmart for what it has done to small towns wherever they build. They destroy. They pay their workers minimum and keep their hours just below enough for them to qualify for benefits. I have yet to step foot in one and they are all around me.

Tags
beef, mexican