Cab Top Round Roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyCook61

Master Chef
My supermarket had a sale on this meat so I bought one. I have googled for recipe for this but I haven't found any that appealed to me. Any ideas how to cook this ? I do not want saurbraten nor pot roast so if there is other way to cook this...

My supermarket had a sale on this meat so I bought one. I have googled for recipe for this but I haven't found any that appealed to me. Any ideas how to cook this ? I do not want saurbraten nor pot roast so if there is other way to cook this...

If it has a decent fat covering this will make an excellent oven roast (or the grill!!). Season as desired ( this is what I do BBQ Butcher - Deli Style Roast Beef ), preheat your oven to 400°, cook the CAB beef on a rack for 30 minutes, lower the oven temp to 325° and finish cooking to your desired doneness. Let rest for 15 minutes before slicing against the grain. Letting it rest allows the juices to redistribute through out the roast so you won't have a big puddle of juice when you cut into it.

If it has a decent fat covering this will make an excellent oven roast (or the grill!!). Season as desired ( this is what I do BBQ Butcher - Deli Style Roast Beef ), preheat your oven to 400°, cook the CAB beef on a rack for 30 minutes, lower the oven temp to 325° and finish cooking to your desired doneness. Let rest for 15 minutes before slicing against the grain. Letting it rest allows the juices to redistribute through out the roast so you won't have a big puddle of juice when you cut into it.
thank you . :)

Technique is the key

The technique is probably the most important aspect to quality roast. You can destroy the most expensive cut with poor technique, and make the cheapest cut you can find juicy and flavorful.

I adapted a favorite recipe for lamb racks to hold up to a beef roast.

Wild mushroom crusted roast beef
Wild mushrooms add an air of complexity to a perfectly roasted rib roast. They release juices as they cook which blends naturally with the earthy flavors of your roast. You can substitute other roasts for this, but make sure you have a solid fat cap.

QuaUnitIngredient 5 pound beef roast (preferably rib or strip)
2 cups sauted wild mushrooms1 tb fresh thyme, minced
1 tb minced garlic
1 tb cracked black pepper
2 tb kosher salt
1 ea large Spanish onion
2 ea carrots
2 ribs celery
1 head garlic
1 tb roux1 cup zinfandelle
Method & Notes
  1. Rub the roast with the salt and black pepper.
  2. Allow the roast to come up to room temperature.
  3. Brown your roast in a heavy bottomed pan.
  4. Roughly chop the onion, carrots and celery. Add to the pan. Split the garlic head, and add to pan.
  5. Cover your roast with foil, and roast at 325 degrees until the roast is 105 degrees.
  6. Remove the roast from the oven and allow to rest for 1/2 hour.
  7. Mince the mushrooms with, and mix with the garlic and thyme.
  8. Crust your roast with the mushrooms, and roast uncovered at 375 degrees until it comes up to 115 - 120 degrees.
  9. Put your roast on a serving platter.
  10. Remove the vegetables from the pan and discard.
  11. Strain the pan jus and reserve.
  12. Put your pan on a burner at med heat, and deglaze the pan with the wine.
  13. Reduce to 1/4 cup, working all of the pan drippings into your sauce.
  14. Whisk in your roux, and add the reserved pan jus.
  15. Simmer until thickened.
  16. Strain your sauce and serve.
Sorry about the formatting on this...i posted the recipe on my personal site as well...

Back
Top Bottom