Can I freeze a beef tenderloin that has a rub on it...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
Okay I am following this recipe: Thyme and Spice-Rubbed Roast Beef Tenderloin au Jus Recipe - Beef - MyRecipes.com

So far I'm to the point where I've rubbed the tenderloin with the salt, pepper, and thyme (and allspice). I've got it in the refrigerator as the recipe says to do so for 24 hours. Now the problem, something has come up and I am not sure if I am going to be able to use this tomorrow night. Can I, at this point, freeze the tenderloin and then thaw it at a later date and follow the recipe as directed? Or would there be a problem?

Thanks.

how long do you think you'll have to wait? Beef is perhaps the strongest protein. It seems to last forever. (not literaly) and it also holds up extremely well in the freezer.

I don't think it would be a problem at all to freeze the tenderloin. But if its only going to be a few days there is no reason to freeze it.

I' have about 8 tenderloins in the fridge right now marinating in a fresh herb rub, going to serve it with a truffled bernaise thats spiked with a rich demi. I'm going to keep them in there 3 days before cooking (they are whole not portioned)

ooh reread your post, you have salt on it,, hmm your going to get a little curing action happening there. a bit of moisture is also going to be pulled from the tenderloin as it sits. but thats okay it actually won't effect the moistness of the steak as long as you don't over cook it. but over time this could be a problem.

if your going to not freeze it, I'd recomend rinsing the salt off, perhaps with a bit of wine. otherwise you'll have yourself a cured loin of beef!

okay, sorry for posting three times in a row, but I keep finding new info that I should have seen the first time. my apologies to you and anyone visiting this thread.

I just noticed you posted a link to your recipe. How thoughtful on our part and how helpful to any of us attempting to answer the question. I was analyzing the recipe and I notice that the salt level is pretty low, I don't see a whole lot of over curing going on, so I don't think its anything to worry about.

I would think freezing would stop any curing process.

As far as a rub...well, a rub is a rub, not a marinade. I would rub the loin down about 45min prior to cooking and go from there. Rubs can be strong and lend a heavy hand to an already delicate cut.

How far off are you planing on pushing this back?

Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and freeze it. It will take at least 24 hours to defrost in the fridge.

Back
Top Bottom