Can you freeze leftover steak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
I cooked a large steak for dinner last night and we have a ton left over. DH and I have really hectic schedules this week so I know we're not going to get to eating rest of it. Does cooked, sliced steak freeeze OK?

Sure does. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and toss it in the fridge. If you don't freeze it, you can make steak sandwiches for lunch.

Just be careful when reheating. Do it as gently and minimally as possible because the steak will keep cooking and might dry out and cook past a point you would want.

I love to cook an extra couple of steaks on the Webber and freeze them. Then, when I take them to work, everyone says; "Where'd you get that!" And I have a steak that tastes just like I took it off of the grill. I just heat it in the microwave until hot, about 45 seconds.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

If it gets too done on a reheat later, slice it up and add it to marinara sauce over penne. really good. Or use it in a simple soup or stew. Always good uses for leftover meat.

I like to use left over steak or roast for hash. Just add water, beef broth, or stock, add cubed potatoes and chopped onion, some garlic and whatever else you want to add to it and cook until tender. When it is all tender, make gravy. Or leave out the potatoes and when it is tender, drain, add a can of mushroom soup, some mushrooms, and sour cream, and serve over noodles for a quick stroganoff.

:) Barbara
P.S. We usually don't have a lot left over, so what I do is put left-over pieces in a zipper freezer bag, adding to it whenever I have left-overs, until I have enough.

Last edited:
These are all great ideas--thanks! I'm not a very big steak eater but DH is so maybe I'll just freeze this for him to have a nice steak dinner when I want something all veggies!:)

It's also great for Beef and Broccoli, Pepper Steak, Philly Cheesesteak, or heated with a can of gravy and served over Texas Toast with instant mashed potatoes for a Hot Roast Beef sandwich. Or heat with BBQ sauce for a great sandwich. Or make a nice beef chef salad.

I love leftovers!

Since we're all giving uses for the leftover steak, I'll let some of Southwestern exposure come out. Take the steak and chop it into small cubes. Brown with onion, green pepper, some jalepinos, a bit of salt, a splash of lime juice, and a tbs. of chopped, fresh cilantro. Heat it all together and place on the center of a flour tortilla. Add sour cream, shredded sharp cheddar cheese (the cheese is optional) and guacamole, roll and serve up a really good carne asada burrito.

Or, cook the meat in a pan, with a half cup of water and a lid until well done. Then, add a tsp. of cummin, and a tsp. of cilantro. When the meat is tender, shred it with a fork and use it for shredded beef tacos, or enchiladas, or tamales. You can even use it to make tacidoes (sp), you know, those little rolled corn tortillas with the cheese and meat filling.

The meat can also be cut into thin strips and gently heated with your favorite hot sauce, some peppers, onions and lime, and served with crispy corn tortillas as fajitas (though they're usually made with chicken.

And don't even get me started with what you can do with the beef in oriental cooking, or even as beef with noodles and gravy.

There, between what's been posted before me, my suggestions, and the ones that are bound to come after, you should have enough ideas to last you a good while.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Goodweed of the North said:
Add sour cream, shredded sharp cheddar cheese (the cheese is optional)
Cheese is never optional! My daughter likes cheese so much that Santa left some fancy cheeses in her Christmas stocking one year (when she was in about 4th or 5th grade)!

:) Barbara

How about a steak salad? I love beef/noodle bowls. You can add veggies of choice (i.e. broccoli, asparagus, ((perhaps cold asparagus sounds odd, but I like it)) ), mushrooms etc. & sprinkle with sesame seeds, if you like. Or - a beef/rice/veggie bowl. (Okay, I mutilated this sentence, but it's early. Forgive me. :LOL: )

Ginger-Beef Noodle Salad

Dressing:
  • 2 tablespoons oil
  • 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon finely grated ginger
  • pepper, to taste
Salad:
  • 8 ounces rare cooked steak or roast beef, thinly sliced
  • 4 ounces vermicelli, broken into 3-inch pieces, cooked and cooled
  • 1 cup pea pods, halved
  • 1 cup shredded cabbage, red
  • 1/2 cup very thinly sliced carrot
  • 1/2 cup sliced green onions
  • 1 can (8 oz) sliced water chestnuts, drained
Whisk together dressing ingredients or shake in a tightly covered container.

Combine all salad ingredients in a bowl; pour dressing over salad and toss lightly. Chill for at least an hour before serving.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom