"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 10-17-2008, 05:43 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

I do all my roasts that way using a thick ceramic pot to cook it in with lots of onions that are whole (I cut off bit on both ends..removed outer icky layers)..add just salt and pepper..bunch peeled red potatoes (hate white..too dry and grainy for my tastes)..anyway turns out great for any eating..alone with gravy or on sandwiches.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:16 PM   #12
Master Chef

I have done simular methods with the oven. First I pan sear for three minutes on each side in my CI pan when it is so hot the EVOO is ready to smoke. Then I pop into the oven at 250 for about three hours (at most, I prefer a little more pink but the kids like less pink lol).
But, and correct me if wrong, this is only for cheap cuts of meat. The nicer, tender cuts don't need slow cooking.
And I agree about the white potatoes. I prefer red and yellow.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:27 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Oven Roasting Beef

I have always slow roasted beef at 300 in the oven, wrapped in foil, with desired herbs and a little olive oil for 5 to 6 hours and it always comes out tender regardless the cut of meat.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:45 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

Definitely!

I have recently done some low temperature oven cooking research using three types of temperature.

If you want it really juicy stick to 90C / 195F. Hope that helps! ;)
Artem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Girl View Post
I do all my roasts that way using a thick ceramic pot to cook it in with lots of onions that are whole (I cut off bit on both ends..removed outer icky layers)..add just salt and pepper..bunch peeled red potatoes (hate white..too dry and grainy for my tastes)..anyway turns out great for any eating..alone with gravy or on sandwiches.
Just once try the 'low and slow' method. 200 F max heat. The low temp allows the entire roast to cook at a more even temp. throughout. To exaggerate the point imagine a roast in an oven at 500 F. The interior is not ever going to get a chance to cook at the same temp as the meat nearer the exterior of the roast leaving what we often see: The exterior is 'well done', the middle is 'medium' and the center is 'rare'. This goes for anything you roast. Beef pork, birds.
Sear the roast first to brown the outside. Finished internal temp. about 140 F. Remove from oven. Tent lightly for about half an hour depending on the size of the roast. Finished temp. will be about 145 F. I promise you you'll never go back to roasting anything in an oven higher than 200 F. The time takes longer but the results are well worth it. "Lots of onions" sounds delicious. What type of onions do you use?
Old 01-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffin3 View Post
Just once try the 'low and slow' method. 200 F max heat. The low temp allows the entire roast to cook at a more even temp. throughout. To exaggerate the point imagine a roast in an oven at 500 F. The interior is not ever going to get a chance to cook at the same temp as the meat nearer the exterior of the roast leaving what we often see: The exterior is 'well done', the middle is 'medium' and the center is 'rare'. This goes for anything you roast. Beef pork, birds.
Sear the roast first to brown the outside. Finished internal temp. about 140 F. Remove from oven. Tent lightly for about half an hour depending on the size of the roast. Finished temp. will be about 145 F. I promise you you'll never go back to roasting anything in an oven higher than 200 F. The time takes longer but the results are well worth it. "Lots of onions" sounds delicious. What type of onions do you use?
Totally agree! Its worth trying...who knows, maybe you will totally love it! :D
Artem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #17
Senior Cook

I have detected some 'resistance' from certain quarters to the whole idea of 'low and slow' 200 F cooking. Same as the idea of 'SV'. "Dangerous food temps." etc. Not on this forum but on a couple of other 'foodie' forums.
It proves the point that some people do not like 'change'. "My way has always worked for me" sort of thing.
I have yet to read a single post put up by any fearless 'Gastronaught' that has tried 200 F 'low and slow' who has not raved about the results. Just sayin'. LOL
Old 01-14-2013, 11:43 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffin3 View Post

I have to completely agree with puffin on this one. I've been doing mine this way since the first time I made a mistake .. thought I had set it for 350 and it was only 250. The result was so good that next time I tried it at 200 and ti was even better ! You would be amazed at how nice it turns out.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:50 AM   #19
Master Chef

I'm sure the original poster would have appreciated your input 4 years ago.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I'm sure the original poster would have appreciated your input 4 years ago.
Last activity for OP was May 2010.

Tags
None