Can you slow-cook a chuck roast in regular oven?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The recipe calls for an oven temp of 325, where did the 175 degrees come from? I personally think 175 way too low, I wouldn't go below 225-250. The chuck roasts internal temp needs to reach at least, I think, 190, for the fat and connective tissue to melt. Cooking at that low of a temp. you might also run into food safety concerns.

Yeah, what they all said. Especially the part about 225 - 250. That is about the working temp for a smoker. If you want a slow cook, go for that temp.

If you do it, be SURE to check the internal temp of the meat.

Just my 2 cents.

AC

Yeah, what they all said. Especially the part about 225 - 250. That is about the working temp for a smoker. If you want a slow cook, go for that temp.

If you do it, be SURE to check the internal temp of the meat.

Just my 2 cents.

AC

hah! Somehow I thought slow cookers did their magic that low - thanks! hahaha!

Gotcha - i turned it up to 225-250. Was only 1hrs into it, so I assume all will be well later today...

Why not just turn your oven to the temp recommended in the recipe? I guess I don't get the "giggles" part. At 225 it will still take about 6 hours for this roast to come to desired tenderness and may be too low for the collagen to melt into the meat. Don't do it at less than 300 or you could have problems with the texture and taste. Even a crock pot is set at 300 degrees.

Why not just turn your oven to the temp recommended in the recipe? I guess I don't get the "giggles" part. At 225 it will still take about 6 hours for this roast to come to desired tenderness and may be too low for the collagen to melt into the meat. Don't do it at less than 300 or you could have problems with the texture and taste. Even a crock pot is set at 300 degrees.

Because I was confused about the temps used by crock pots. Everything came out fine using 250 degrees. (goes back to munch on some more)

So - at 250 degrees, how long did it take? I don't mind the 250 - I do pork butts at that temp and they turn out great given enough time to reach an internal temp of 200 or so. Also, did you check the internal temp? Just curious. Was it pullable or did you have to slice it?

I do all my roasts that way using a thick ceramic pot to cook it in with lots of onions that are whole (I cut off bit on both ends..removed outer icky layers)..add just salt and pepper..bunch peeled red potatoes (hate white..too dry and grainy for my tastes)..anyway turns out great for any eating..alone with gravy or on sandwiches.

I have done simular methods with the oven. First I pan sear for three minutes on each side in my CI pan when it is so hot the EVOO is ready to smoke. Then I pop into the oven at 250 for about three hours (at most, I prefer a little more pink but the kids like less pink lol).
But, and correct me if wrong, this is only for cheap cuts of meat. The nicer, tender cuts don't need slow cooking.
And I agree about the white potatoes. I prefer red and yellow.

Oven Roasting Beef

I have always slow roasted beef at 300 in the oven, wrapped in foil, with desired herbs and a little olive oil for 5 to 6 hours and it always comes out tender regardless the cut of meat.:yum:

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely!

I have recently done some low temperature oven cooking research using three types of temperature.

If you want it really juicy stick to 90C / 195F. Hope that helps! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I do all my roasts that way using a thick ceramic pot to cook it in with lots of onions that are whole (I cut off bit on both ends..removed outer icky layers)..add just salt and pepper..bunch peeled red potatoes (hate white..too dry and grainy for my tastes)..anyway turns out great for any eating..alone with gravy or on sandwiches.
Just once try the 'low and slow' method. 200 F max heat. The low temp allows the entire roast to cook at a more even temp. throughout. To exaggerate the point imagine a roast in an oven at 500 F. The interior is not ever going to get a chance to cook at the same temp as the meat nearer the exterior of the roast leaving what we often see: The exterior is 'well done', the middle is 'medium' and the center is 'rare'. This goes for anything you roast. Beef pork, birds.
Sear the roast first to brown the outside. Finished internal temp. about 140 F. Remove from oven. Tent lightly for about half an hour depending on the size of the roast. Finished temp. will be about 145 F. I promise you you'll never go back to roasting anything in an oven higher than 200 F. The time takes longer but the results are well worth it. "Lots of onions" sounds delicious. What type of onions do you use?

Just once try the 'low and slow' method. 200 F max heat. The low temp allows the entire roast to cook at a more even temp. throughout. To exaggerate the point imagine a roast in an oven at 500 F. The interior is not ever going to get a chance to cook at the same temp as the meat nearer the exterior of the roast leaving what we often see: The exterior is 'well done', the middle is 'medium' and the center is 'rare'. This goes for anything you roast. Beef pork, birds.
Sear the roast first to brown the outside. Finished internal temp. about 140 F. Remove from oven. Tent lightly for about half an hour depending on the size of the roast. Finished temp. will be about 145 F. I promise you you'll never go back to roasting anything in an oven higher than 200 F. The time takes longer but the results are well worth it. "Lots of onions" sounds delicious. What type of onions do you use?

Totally agree! Its worth trying...who knows, maybe you will totally love it! :D

I have detected some 'resistance' from certain quarters to the whole idea of 'low and slow' 200 F cooking. Same as the idea of 'SV'. "Dangerous food temps." etc. Not on this forum but on a couple of other 'foodie' forums.
It proves the point that some people do not like 'change'. "My way has always worked for me" sort of thing.
I have yet to read a single post put up by any fearless 'Gastronaught' that has tried 200 F 'low and slow' who has not raved about the results. Just sayin'. LOL

I have to completely agree with puffin on this one. I've been doing mine this way since the first time I made a mistake .. thought I had set it for 350 and it was only 250. The result was so good that next time I tried it at 200 and ti was even better ! You would be amazed at how nice it turns out.

Back
Top Bottom