Canned beef in gravy..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff G.

Head Chef
OK, after reading about people trying the stuff here I decided to give it a shot.

I was at "Dollar General". They had cans of beef with gravy for $1, egg noodles for $1 and sour cream in the cooler.

I put some water and salt in a skillet, brought it up to a boil, cooked the noodles and drained them putting them back in the skillet. I added the contents of the beef can, not appealing looking into the can. I heated that, added a little sea salt, fresh ground pepper and when hot I stirred in 4oz sour cream. This was a single plate size serving.

Now to the tasting......

Really good!!!! Next time I will add onion and sliced mushrooms for what I expect will be a really good beef stroganoff.

Good eats Jeff. I gotta get me some of that.
I run across canned beef now and then because folks feed it to their dogs (after the dog food scares) and it always smells so tempting......

That's an interesting idea. I shop at the dollar store now and then but am timid about buying foods there.

You've given me courage to give it a try. Sounds as though you've had a good experience.

Thanks for sharing.

woof!

was it like slices of beef, or more like chipped bits?

sounds like something i'd try. you need crusty bread and butter, methinks.

cheese and/or garlic seem to be natural buddies, as well.

woof!

was it like slices of beef, or more like chipped bits?

sounds like something i'd try. you need crusty bread and butter, methinks.

cheese and/or garlic seem to be natural buddies, as well.

more like chunks of beef, bite sized. Kind of like canned dog food...:ohmy:

more like chunks of beef, bite sized. Kind of like canned dog food...:ohmy:

Yeah, that's the same stuff I see :-p
Something like 90% water, 30% sodium, 45% meat :LOL:
Sure smells good though. I think I remember a thread on making SOS with it.

Yeah, that's the same stuff I see :-p
Something like 90% water, 30% sodium, 45% meat :LOL:
Sure smells good though. I think I remember a thread on making SOS with it.

Yep.. water, meat, seasonings.. surprisingly tasty

It's been a while since I've seen canned beef in the store. We always had it growing up. It came with the beef package from the butcher. My folks would buy half a cow and part of a pig at the butcher's then freeze it for a year. You could always tell when it was getting time to go because the canned beef was coming out into many recipes.

:) I like the Hormel brand of beef in gravy the beef is from Brazil and it is quite tasty I like it because it shreds up really well. It makes a fantastic beef filling for beef burritos as I prefer shredded beef as opposed to ground beef for those I add the the gravy to my red or green chili sauce for added flavor. I get mine a Walmart it can be found with the canned tuna etc.

I got a can of Hormel's roast beef . I cooked some Ramen noodles and heated up the beef , added teriyaki sauce to the beef , mixed the noodles and beef together.

I got a can of Hormel's roast beef . I cooked some Ramen noodles and heated up the beef , added teriyaki sauce to the beef , mixed the noodles and beef together.
;) So, what did you think about the beef? I think it's really tasty the meat is from Brazil and sometimes from Argentina and they know a thing or two on raising beef.

OK, after reading about people trying the stuff here I decided to give it a shot. ...

Yep - good for what it is (precooked and canned) - not as tender as if you had braised it yourself from scratch ... but you can do a lot with it with a little imagination - re our previous thread about it: Canned Roast Beef... recipe ideas?

Given that most of these cans-o'-cow are 16-oz and a raw chuck roast is about $3.99/lb ... nothing wrong with saving a few $$ unless you are trying to cook to impress someone else.

;) So, what did you think about the beef? I think it's really tasty the meat is from Brazil and sometimes from Argentina and they know a thing or two on raising beef.

It was okay. To me , it had a metallic taste when I tried a piece out of the can, hubby couldn't taste it. :ermm: but then he has lousy taste buds .
After I made the supper , it was tasty. I wouldn't buy it often tho, I just wanted to try it after all that recommendation about it . ;)

you can do a lot to make a can of beef, corned beef, tuna, salmon, chicken, whatever, taste pretty good. And when they are offing them at a buck each, well worth getting a few for camping or the emergency pack, or just trying something a little creative.

I''m partial to canned corned beef sloppy joes (add sauteed onion and grn pepper, tomato sauce and hot sauce. on a bun, yum)

Back
Top Bottom