"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 02-03-2007, 07:09 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to JDP
I love carpaccio, we will even make it with back strap of venison. I like to put a little balsamic vinegar, and sprikle some capers over the meat. A litte chiffonade of basil works great too.

I Wisconsin we a a ground version of this referred to as a cannible sandwhich. It it served with diced onion, diced hardboiled egg, and cocktail caraway rye. Your grind your own sirlion fresh. Yes I know there are some food safety issues with this but it hasn't killed us yet. Maybe the drinking that usaualyy occurs with this kills off any bugs.

JDP

Old 02-03-2007, 07:27 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis
I want to make raw beef carpaccio. (Clive's post on the truffle oil thread reminded me to look this up)

Alton Brown made carpaccio the other night on FoodTV, but he seared the beef and said something that I didn't quite catch about why he said had to do that (something about the food police, maybe?)

Anyway, I want it the way it's traditionally served, but don't want to be an idiot about this, either.

How risky is it to serve it raw? How much more risky than serving a rare steak?

Lee
I'm not an expert on American supermarkets, but I'd have thought that the Health Police would have ensured total and absolute perfection regarding meat and fish. Raw is the only way to serve carpaccio - you need to chill the meat so you can slice it extremely thin.
The original "Harry's Bar" recipe for carpaccio calls for "Shell of Beef"; all fat, sinew, gristle, etc., etc., removed. The original recipe uses a classic mayonnaise with Worcestershire Sauce, crisscrossed over the meat, creating a red and white "work of art" on the plate. No mushrooms, no parmesan, no olives, capers, parsley, breadcrumbs, banana slices, deep-fried fluted anchovies, crispy leeks, or any other adornment!!
The idea for "Carpaccio" came from an Italian artist who loved to paint with reds crisscrossed with white .

Old 02-03-2007, 08:21 PM   #13
Master Chef

Cliveb - you DEFINITELY are not up on U.S. meat production. And as far as the "health police". Excuse me while I bend over laughing.

Every single package of supermarket meat in the U.S. comes with a warning about cooking it to near incineration stage to avoid getting sick.

Some of us, obviously, don't take that advice seriously & still enjoy rare steaks, lamb, burgers, etc. But those little stickers on the package keep the U.S. Health Inspectors free from lawsuits due to illness from eating less than well-done meat.

It's truly a SHAME that after more than 40 years, the health/food inspection department in the U.S. apparently not only hasn't changed since my grandparents' days (oh - the stories they told me!!!!!), but it's now even worse. Instead of fixing the problem, they put stickers on the meat/poultry advising everyone to cook it to oblivion because they can't get their act together & actually CLEAN UP THE MEAT & POULTRY INDUSTRY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-04-2007, 06:06 AM   #14
Sous Chef

HAHA!! That's a good story!
I can still go to the Butcher's section of the supermarket and ask the guy to prepare my steaks, tenderloin, etc. how I like it. Whilst there are lots of little plastic packets available, most of us pick them up only when in a hurry.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:11 AM   #15
Head Chef

When I make beef carpaccio, I drizzle the empty platter with the acidic dressing before laying out the beef slices. I don't coat or top the beef with any other acid so that the beef does not turn gray or whitish from contact with acid. Looks much better when not consumed immediately.

Tags
None