Chateaubriand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Essiebunny

Senior Cook
I received a 2 pound chateaubriand as a gift. How do I prepare it and what do I serve with it?
There will be 4 of us eating.

I believe I would sear very well in a screaming hot cast iron pan and then finish in a 425* oven. Rub with a rub of your choice.
Test with an instant read thermometer (after 10 minutes in the oven) and remove at 125*. Tent with foil to finish "cooking".
Serve with a green peppercorn sauce or a sauce au porto or a bearnaise.

Chateaubriand is terrible - I wouldn't cook it if I were you. Seeing as we're such good friends I will take it off your hands though. :mrgreen:

This is probably the most classic recipe.

For a different twist, reduce 1/2 c. beef or veal stock + 1/2 c. red wine with 3 Tbsp. sugar, 2-3 springs of fresh time, and 2 minced shallots. Reduce this mixture to 1/4 c. and strain. Let cool to about 140 degrees, then fold into hollandaise sauce along with 1 Tbsp. minced parsley.

Don't laugh at me but all these years I thought Chateaubriand was a platter for 2 people in a restaurant. When Mr HB and I order it, it always seems to have a filet, roasted potatos, asperagus, mushrooms, some other items and au jus. The waiter carves it at the table. It's nearly the same veggies nestled around the board, too.

Well, I've learned my new thing for the day. How embarrassing. :doh: :blush:

Half Baked said:
Don't laugh at me but all these years I thought Chateaubriand was a platter for 2 people in a restaurant. When Mr HB and I order it, it always seems to have a filet, roasted potatos, asperagus, mushrooms, some other items and au jus. The waiter carves it at the table. It's nearly the same veggies nestled around the board, too.

Well, I've learned my new thing for the day. How embarrassing. :doh: :blush:

What is it you have learned? It is the center cut of a filet/tenderloin--and indeed, ususally served for two.

I didn't realize it was a cut of meat. I thought it was 1/2 of a filet 'roast', dinner for 2.

I sure love it. mmmm :LOL:

Be sure to pull it out and let it set a good 2 hours to let it temper a bit. I have also been playing around with smoked paprika and have made a simple rub of 1 part granulated garlic and salt, 2 parts smoked hot paprika that would be a great seasoning and would work well with the Bearnaise sauce. Your searing temp can't be white hot though as it would burn the paprika. I just did a similar thing last night but I stuffed the tenderloin with a Spanish style chorizo stuffing. Although if you were trying to get 4 portions ( depending on the size of your Chateau) stuffing it could yield more servings.

JDP

Essiebunny said:
I received a 2 pound chateaubriand as a gift. How do I prepare it and what do I serve with it?
There will be 4 of us eating.
Congratulations, Essie! What a fabulous gift! That's a lot of meat for four people, unless you're feeding the backfield of the Chicago Bears, tho...

I would agree with the suggestion to sear it on both sides and finish it in a hot oven to 125... I'd only season it with grey sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, and my preferred sauce is Marchand de Vin, also known as Wine Merchant's Sauce. I hope you have a couple of bottles of great Bordeaux to go with that outrageous piece of meat! :)

Wine Merchant’s Sauce:

1 tablespoon unsalted butter
3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
¾ cup dry red wine (such as Côtes du Rhône or Zinfandel)
another ½ cup of the wine
3 tablespoons additional butter
freshly ground pepper and sea salt to taste

1. Pour off the fat from the pan, but do not wash it. The particles of caramelized meat juices adhering to the pan will contribute to the success of your sauce.

2. Add 1 tablespoon butter and the shallots to the hot pan. Sauté the shallots over low heat for about 3 minutes, then pour in the red wine. Raise the heat and cook until the wine is reduced to almost a syrup. Add the ½ cup wine, and reduce again. This time, leave a little more juice (about 1/3 cup in all). Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the remaining butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, until it is absorbed and the sauce is thickened. Add freshly ground pepper and taste before adding salt. It may very well be salty enough.

3. To serve, arrange the meat on hot plates. Stir into the sauce any juices that have accumulated on the plate during the meat¹s rest. Nap the meat with the sauce, sprinkle with the finely chopped parsley, and serve.

JDP said:
Be sure to pull it out and let it set a good 2 hours to let it temper a bit. I have also been playing around with smoked paprika and have made a simple rub of 1 part granulated garlic and salt, 2 parts smoked hot paprika that would be a great seasoning and would work well with the Bearnaise sauce. Your searing temp can't be white hot though as it would burn the paprika. I just did a similar thing last night but I stuffed the tenderloin with a Spanish style chorizo stuffing. Although if you were trying to get 4 portions ( depending on the size of your Chateau) stuffing it could yield more servings.

JDP

Adding some spinach and a bit of bread crumbs to your stuffing might be good also.

Candocook said:
Adding some spinach and a bit of bread crumbs to your stuffing might be good also.
????? I wouldn't stuff a Chateaubriand with anything. I surely might serve a spinach dish alongside the steak, but I wouldn't be messing with that glorious piece of meat. :ohmy:

(just mho)

I'm with ChefJune on this - just say no to stuffing.

My first experience eating this "glorious piece of meat" was in a glorious setting as well:

A dinner cruise on the Seine through Paris.

Sigh.........

mudbug said:
I'm with ChefJune on this - just say no to stuffing.

My first experience eating this "glorious piece of meat" was in a glorious setting as well:

A dinner cruise on the Seine through Paris.

Sigh.........
Just reading that made me sigh....... :) shoooot! they could have served you sauteed cardboard and it would probably have tasted great in that setting! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom