"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 05-25-2015, 09:43 PM   #1
Master Chef

Chicken Fried Beef Heart

I had this heat in my freezer. I decided to cook part of it up as stew, which was wonderful. I had three, half-inch steaks left over. I put some Adolph's Meat Tenderiser on them and poked them all over with a fork, put them in a zipper bag and let sit in the fridge overnight. I fried them up as Chicken-fried Beef Heart and it was delicious.

Ingredients:
3 beef heart steaks
1 cup AP Flour
2 tsp, ground pepper
1 tsp. salt
1 tbs. granulated garlic powder
4 tbs. cooking oil

Preheat a heavy frying pan over medium heat.

Combine the flour, pepper, salt, and garlic in a wide bowl. Dredge a steak through the flour, making sure to coat the entire steak. Place on plastic sheet and use a meat tenderizer, not the smooth side, to tenderize and force the flour into the meat. Flip and repeat.

Do this for each steak. Finally, dredge all steaks again in the seasoned flour and shake off the extra oil. Add the oil to the pan and let get hot. Place the steaks into the pan, as many as will fit without crowding. Fry for five minutes per side to produce a good crust. Remove to a platter and add some of the leftover seasoned flour to the pan to make a roux. Whisk in milk until a smooth country gravy is formed.

I served my steaks with steamed cauliflower and sliced beets. This was yummy and the steaks were tender. The heart had a richer flavor than does other cuts of beef. So good.

May your hot things be hot, your cold things be cold, and your cheddar, or Extra-sharp Pinconing be served at room temperature.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:33 PM   #2
Master Chef

Sounds good Chief. I'm sure you're aware that many, many people have never tasted, or even thought of beef heart for their table. When we were on our South American cruise, and participated in a most amazing culinary tour in Lima Peru, tender and delicious beef heart was served in a most amazing way. Being the "meat cutters daughter" I recognized the taste right away any enjoyed it very much. I can't say the same for the rest of the diners. They all said it was good, but wish they hadn't been told it was beef heart. Go figure...

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:12 AM   #3
Master Chef

The last time I made beef heart stew, we ate it for 3 days. Every day my wife, who loved it, kept asking me what it was. The third day I finally told her it was heart, she almost killed me.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:29 PM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
The last time I made beef heart stew, we ate it for 3 days. Every day my wife, who loved it, kept asking me what it was. The third day I finally told her it was heart, she almost killed me.
That is funny!
Old 06-21-2015, 10:54 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Captain Beefheart approves..
Old 06-21-2015, 04:18 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I like beef heart. I find it funny that some people won't eat beef heart because "it's weird", but they will eat eggs, knowing where they come from.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:25 AM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I like beef heart. I find it funny that some people won't eat beef heart because "it's weird", but they will eat eggs, knowing where they come from.
For a lot of people it's not so much where it came from as what they grew up with and relative familiarity. I know people who won't touch frog's leg, squid, or snails, yet they think nothing of eating Rocky Mountain Oysters (bull's testicles, for those unfamiliar), which many who love squid would retch at the thought of.

The difference - they castrate a lot of beef here, but we don't see many squid or snails.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:00 PM   #8
Head Chef

I make beef, deer and elk heart every hunting season. I like it cut in 1" strips then breaded and fried med-rare. Too tough if overcooked unless it is stewed.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:07 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'll eat my snails and squid...
Old 06-23-2015, 06:54 AM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I'll eat my snails and squid...
+1

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beef, beef heart, chicken, flour, garlic, oil, pepper, recipe, salt

Chicken Fried Beef Heart I had this heat in my freezer. I decided to cook part of it up as stew, which was wonderful. I had three, half-inch steaks left over. I put some Adolph's Meat Tenderiser on them and poked them all over with a fork, put them in a zipper bag and let sit in the fridge overnight. I fried them up as Chicken-fried Beef Heart and it was delicious. Ingredients: 3 beef heart steaks 1 cup AP Flour 2 tsp, ground pepper 1 tsp. salt 1 tbs. granulated garlic powder 4 tbs. cooking oil Preheat a heavy frying pan over medium heat. Combine the flour, pepper, salt, and garlic in a wide bowl. Dredge a steak through the flour, making sure to coat the entire steak. Place on plastic sheet and use a meat tenderizer, not the smooth side, to tenderize and force the flour into the meat. Flip and repeat. Do this for each steak. Finally, dredge all steaks again in the seasoned flour and shake off the extra oil. Add the oil to the pan and let get hot. Place the steaks into the pan, as many as will fit without crowding. Fry for five minutes per side to produce a good crust. Remove to a platter and add some of the leftover seasoned flour to the pan to make a roux. Whisk in milk until a smooth country gravy is formed. I served my steaks with steamed cauliflower and sliced beets. This was yummy and the steaks were tender.:mrgreen: The heart had a richer flavor than does other cuts of beef. So good. May your hot things be hot, your cold things be cold, and your cheddar, or Extra-sharp Pinconing be served at room temperature. Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North 3 stars 1 reviews