Chicken Fried Steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

forty_caliber

Admiral of the Texas Navy
Moderator Emeritus
Chicken Fried Steak

Authentic Texas chuckwagon style. Serve hot with cream gravy and mashed potatoes

INGREDIENTS
3 pounds tenderized (minute) steaks
2 cups flour
1 cup heavy cream or whole milk
1 egg
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon paprika
vegetable oil

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Beat egg into cream set aside
2. Combine dry ingredients to season flour in wide flat container
3. Dunk steak in to egg mixture and transfer to flour
4. Coat steak with flour pressing firmly so that flour adheres to steak
5. Fry steak on flat griddle over medium heat in vegetable oil until golden brown.

Last edited:
.40, what does a a Texan consider a minute steak?
Around here a minute steak is like shaved beef and used to make a sub with. We make chicken fried steak from tenderized cube steak. Cube steak has been run through the tenderizer at the store in both directions for a checkerboard, cube kind of look. Do you guys have cube steak, or is that what you call minute steak?

.40, what does a a Texan consider a minute steak?
Around here a minute steak is like shaved beef and used to make a sub with. We make chicken fried steak from tenderized cube steak. Cube steak has been run through the tenderizer at the store in both directions for a checkerboard, cube kind of look. Do you guys have cube steak, or is that what you call minute steak?

Cube steak = Texas minute steak. The shaved beef for philly cheese steak sandwiches is hard to find here.

Cube steak = Texas minute steak. The shaved beef for philly cheese steak sandwiches is hard to find here.

We should really standardize the english language with you Texans :LOL:
I like to add a little hot sauce to the egg wash, too. Good stuff chicken fried steak.

Chicken? fried steak

For the life of me I have read this recipe and printed it. It looks like a recipe my mom used to fix when I was growing up. Why does it say "Chicken Fried Steak?" There is no chicken in it that I can see and it doesn't use chicken fat for cooking. :huh:

My mom called this steak "Country fried steak." Are they terms used interchangeably? or what? :ermm:

I have fixed this and it is delicious. I have used Cube Steak and Cubed Pork Steak.. Butcher does it up for me. Delicious....:chef:

For the life of me I have read this recipe and printed it. It looks like a recipe my mom used to fix when I was growing up. Why does it say "Chicken Fried Steak?" There is no chicken in it that I can see and it doesn't use chicken fat for cooking. :huh:

My mom called this steak "Country fried steak." Are they terms used interchangeably? or what? :ermm:

I have fixed this and it is delicious. I have used Cube Steak and Cubed Pork Steak.. Butcher does it up for me. Delicious....:chef:

The batter is the same as Fried Chicken.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom