"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2018, 05:46 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Golly gee, doesn't anyone use the method where you fry it up, then turn down the heat and add foil to the top of the pan and let it slow cook until tender? I'm saying that works for me, only, this cube steak was a bit thick. Thanks for saying I can pound the crap out of it without messing with the final result. What is a cube steak anyways? What part of the cow? It's obviously a tougher cut of meat since it's sold having already gone thru a tenderizing process.

Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:08 PM   #12
Master Chef

I think it's usually a mechanically tenderized round steak, that comes from the back end of the animal. And yes, it's not the most tender cut, that's for sure. That's why cube steak is sold tenderized and best fried fast and hot for chicken fried steak.

I've never covered the CFS after frying it, and continued to cook it. I just bread it, fry for just a few minutes on each side, remove from the pan, and place on a rack or paper towels to drain. That's how my mama and grandma taught me and I always loved theirs.

But obviously you can make it however you want.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:28 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I think it's usually a mechanically tenderized round steak, that comes from the back end of the animal. And yes, it's not the most tender cut, that's for sure. That's why cube steak is sold tenderized and best fried fast and hot for chicken fried steak.

I've never covered the CFS after frying it, and continued to cook it. I just bread it, fry for just a few minutes on each side, remove from the pan, and place on a rack or paper towels to drain. That's how my mama and grandma taught me and I always loved theirs.

But obviously you can make it however you want.
Well, since I can pound it thinner, then, OK. Otherwise, my cube steak is on the thick side and just frying it would over cook the batter seasoning by the time the inside was done. That's why I like the "fry it" "cover the pan with foil" "add a little water" and let it "slow cook" until this cheap cut of beef is done and not too chewy. I like adding a dab of Heinz chili sauce on top before serving it (to myself).
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:18 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Golly gee, doesn't anyone use the method where you fry it up, then turn down the heat and add foil to the top of the pan and let it slow cook until tender? I'm saying that works for me, only, this cube steak was a bit thick. Thanks for saying I can pound the crap out of it without messing with the final result. What is a cube steak anyways? What part of the cow? It's obviously a tougher cut of meat since it's sold having already gone thru a tenderizing process.
I think that just may be a criminal offense here in Texas.

CD
Old 02-23-2018, 08:36 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Casey, what is canned milk? Just whole milk in a can, or something else?
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:39 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Caslon, if you want to cook breaded meat in gravy that's ok but then you have what's called "Swiss Steak" although I don't know why. One thing I do know, Chicken Fried Steak is never cooked in gravy, the gravy is always served on top.

If you pay close attention to the video from Casey..it will be perfect. Notice his choice of meat, and method.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:53 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
Casey, what is canned milk? Just whole milk in a can, or something else?
It is just Evaporated Milk. https://www.petmilk.com

I use heavy cream for my CFS gravy.

CD
Old 02-23-2018, 10:08 PM   #18
Master Chef

Good video Casey, thanks for sharing! That's pretty much how I make it, but I scale the quantities down a bit unless I'm cooking for more than just me. Like you, I use either heavy cream or half and half for the gravy, but I would use evap if I were camping and had no access to fresh.

I do believe I'm going to have to add CFS to the menu in the next week or two...getting a craving for it after reading this thread.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:40 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Good video Casey, thanks for sharing! That's pretty much how I make it, but I scale the quantities down a bit unless I'm cooking for more than just me. Like you, I use either heavy cream or half and half for the gravy, but I would use evap if I were camping and had no access to fresh.

I do believe I'm going to have to add CFS to the menu in the next week or two...getting a craving for it after reading this thread.
Please, no pics. Not until April.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:05 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Yes, you can pound them thinner. Just don't go to the point where they fall apart.

Yes, cook them until golden brown, but no more.

I tend to use a better cut of meat, like thin-cut sirloin steak (AKA: breakfast cut), and pound it out for CFS. Cubed steak just seems to be very unpredictable at the grocery store.
Oh, I forgot to post a picture.

CD

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KFS003.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	29259  

Tags
chicken, steak