Chicken fried steak- cube steaks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caslon

Executive Chef
I like cube steaks every once in awhile. Very economical. I try to chicken fry them. My recent cube steaks were on the thick side. I coated them in egg and seasoned flour mixture, fried each side lightly, added a splash of water, then covered the pan with aluminum foil and reduced the heat to low and let it cook for 30 min. The meat was still kinda chewy. I think it was because the cut of cube steak was a bit thick. Can you pound a cube steak to be thinner without ruining it? I'm not sure if this cut of meat is meant to be pounded thinner.

Last edited:
You should only fry it quickly until just done. The water and the extra cooking time is why it was tough, besides ruining the crispy coating, i.e. chicken fried, as in crispy outside.

Yes, they are called chicken fried because they are supposed to be fried as you would pieces of chicken. Just until done with a crispy to semi-crispy coating.

You may have lightly fried them, but then you steamed them for 30 minutes which will toughen meat.

Yes, they are called chicken fried because they are supposed to be fried as you would pieces of chicken. Just until done with a crispy to semi-crispy coating.

You may have lightly fried them, but then you steamed them for 30 minutes which will toughen meat.

I get ya. My method cooked up fine with thinner cube steaks.
Can I go ahead and pound the hell outta cube steak meat without wrecking it (to make it thinner)?

Last edited:
Yes, you can pound them thinner. Just don't go to the point where they fall apart.

Yes, cook them until golden brown, but no more.

I tend to use a better cut of meat, like thin-cut sirloin steak (AKA: breakfast cut), and pound it out for CFS. Cubed steak just seems to be very unpredictable at the grocery store.

Yes, you can pound them thinner. Just don't go to the point where they fall apart.

I tend to use a better cut of meat, like thin-cut sirloin steak (AKA: breakfast cut), and pound it out for CFS. Cubed steak just seems to be very unpredictable at the grocery store.
I agree...

Want a good meal, utilize a good product.. :yum: :)

Ross

I love cube/minute steaks. Making them chicken fried is a great idea.

My mom often made them for us on hard rolls with cheese and onions and peppers, sort of like a cheesesteak. Yeah, sometimes they were tougher than others and you had to really tear into it with your teeth, but they were always tasty. Much better than greasy Steak-Ums. (anyone remember those?)

Whatever you use, don't forget the heavily peppered cream gravy! :yum:

(ugh...yes, I remember Steak 'Ums. My dad used to buy them years ago. Yuck. :yuk: :LOL:)

Last edited:
Golly gee, doesn't anyone use the method where you fry it up, then turn down the heat and add foil to the top of the pan and let it slow cook until tender? I'm saying that works for me, only, this cube steak was a bit thick. Thanks for saying I can pound the crap out of it without messing with the final result. What is a cube steak anyways? What part of the cow? It's obviously a tougher cut of meat since it's sold having already gone thru a tenderizing process.

Last edited:
I think it's usually a mechanically tenderized round steak, that comes from the back end of the animal. And yes, it's not the most tender cut, that's for sure. That's why cube steak is sold tenderized and best fried fast and hot for chicken fried steak. :)

I've never covered the CFS after frying it, and continued to cook it. I just bread it, fry for just a few minutes on each side, remove from the pan, and place on a rack or paper towels to drain. That's how my mama and grandma taught me and I always loved theirs.

But obviously you can make it however you want. :)

Last edited:
I think it's usually a mechanically tenderized round steak, that comes from the back end of the animal. And yes, it's not the most tender cut, that's for sure. That's why cube steak is sold tenderized and best fried fast and hot for chicken fried steak. :)

I've never covered the CFS after frying it, and continued to cook it. I just bread it, fry for just a few minutes on each side, remove from the pan, and place on a rack or paper towels to drain. That's how my mama and grandma taught me and I always loved theirs.

But obviously you can make it however you want. :)

Well, since I can pound it thinner, then, OK. Otherwise, my cube steak is on the thick side and just frying it would over cook the batter seasoning by the time the inside was done. That's why I like the "fry it" "cover the pan with foil" "add a little water" and let it "slow cook" until this cheap cut of beef is done and not too chewy. I like adding a dab of Heinz chili sauce on top before serving it (to myself). :yum:

Last edited:
Golly gee, doesn't anyone use the method where you fry it up, then turn down the heat and add foil to the top of the pan and let it slow cook until tender? I'm saying that works for me, only, this cube steak was a bit thick. Thanks for saying I can pound the crap out of it without messing with the final result. What is a cube steak anyways? What part of the cow? It's obviously a tougher cut of meat since it's sold having already gone thru a tenderizing process.

I think that just may be a criminal offense here in Texas. :ohmy::LOL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSP_kIFj6lY

CD

Caslon, if you want to cook breaded meat in gravy that's ok but then you have what's called "Swiss Steak" although I don't know why. One thing I do know, Chicken Fried Steak is never cooked in gravy, the gravy is always served on top.

If you pay close attention to the video from Casey..it will be perfect. Notice his choice of meat, and method.

Last edited:
Good video Casey, thanks for sharing! That's pretty much how I make it, but I scale the quantities down a bit unless I'm cooking for more than just me. Like you, I use either heavy cream or half and half for the gravy, but I would use evap if I were camping and had no access to fresh.

I do believe I'm going to have to add CFS to the menu in the next week or two...getting a craving for it after reading this thread. :LOL::yum:

Good video Casey, thanks for sharing! That's pretty much how I make it, but I scale the quantities down a bit unless I'm cooking for more than just me. Like you, I use either heavy cream or half and half for the gravy, but I would use evap if I were camping and had no access to fresh.

I do believe I'm going to have to add CFS to the menu in the next week or two...getting a craving for it after reading this thread. :LOL::yum:

Please, no pics. Not until April. :)

Oh, I forgot to post a picture. :chef:

CD :D

Attachments

• KFS003.jpg
    KFS003.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 377
Back
Top Bottom