Chili Crusted Trip-Tip Roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AnnieDrews

Senior Cook
I tried this recipe by request and I'm very pleased with how good it turned out! It is from our local electric cooperative newspaper. I followed the recipe exactly, except for the fact that I couldn't find a tri tip roast. I used a similar roast as recommended by the meat department attendent. I doubled the recipe and used almost 5 pounds of meat. I cooked ours to 170 degrees for well done and it was still nice and tender and very juicy.

Chili Crusted Tri-Tip Roast

1 beef tri-tip roast or comparable (1 1/2 to 2 pounds)

Rub:
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions:
1. Heat gas oven to 425 F (400 F electric). Combine rub ingredients in small bowl; press evenly onto all sides of beef roast.

2. Place roast on rack in shallow roasting pan. Do not add water or cover. Roast in oven 30-40 minutes for medium rare; 40-45 minutes for medium.

3. Remove roast when thermometer registers 135 F (medium rare); 150 F (medium). Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 15 minutes.

4. Carve roast across the grain into thin slices.

I tried this recipe by request and I'm very pleased with how good it turned out! It is from our local electric cooperative newspaper. I followed the recipe exactly, except for the fact that I couldn't find a tri tip roast. I used a similar roast as recommended by the meat department attendent. I doubled the recipe and used almost 5 pounds of meat. I cooked ours to 170 degrees for well done and it was still nice and tender and very juicy.

So what cut of meat did you use?

So what cut of meat did you use?

LOL, honestly, I can't exactly remember. I think it just said "tender" roast on it....maybe sirloin. But it was very lean, just a couple of ribbons of gristle left after I baked it. I'm sure you could use just about any type of beef roast you'd like.

Honestly, I think it would work for just about any cut of roast. That rub could be adjusted all kinds of ways, too.

I was surprised it turned out so well as I have always done roast in a crock pot. Lately had not had very good results with that in my opinion. This roast/technique gave me a meat that really reminded me of prime rib in texture. It was a good experiment.

I had actually thought of browning the roast on all sides before coating and baking, but thought that the crust spices might not be able to penetrate the meat as well, so I nixed that idea.

I also noticed while transcribing the recipe that it had called for salt and pepper...I am guessing to be sprinkled on before the rub. I didn't use it and it really didn't need it in my opinion.

Last edited:
Good thing you didn't brown it, Annie. At those temps and with that method it will brown itself, or "roast". Glad it all came out well for you.

Annie, those spices and that method is exactly how I do my Tri Tip roasts when we don't want to barbecue them. I like this method just as well. We like ours rare, and sliced very thin against the grain, but you are so right....it's a wonderful method and the spices are spot on. I do wish you could get a real Tri Tip sometime though.....it's a wonderful cut of meat, mainly only available in the west, although some parts of the country are getting the word.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom