"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2018, 11:33 AM   #11
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by di reston View Post
In four days time, my stepson is coming to visit. He is a chili fan, big style! I already have Steve Kroll's chili, and I'm banking on it. However, the chili they generally do in the UK is the recipe using ground beef and red beans. Steve's recipe is awsome, but if my stepson opts for the ground beef style I don't have a recipe that's good enough - it just doesn't come up to stratch. Fortunately, in Italy now you can get all the herbs and spices you could ever wish for, but not chipotle, but on the whole I could find a suitably hot chili. Italians love their chili spices.
Hi Di,

I'm flattered you like my chili recipe. There is certainly no reason you couldn't substitute ground beef, or some combination of ground beef and beans. As mentioned, a coarser grind might be preferable. With regard to chipotle, the reason I like it is because it adds a nice smoky flavor. You could just as easily use something like hot smoked Spanish paprika (aka Pimentón de La Vera Picante, which I'm relatively certain is available in Italy) to get the same effect.

The nice thing about chili is that almost everyone starts off with a recipe, but eventually adapts it to their own tastes.

Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:29 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
I like to make Chili with ground beef and Black beans, Corn kernels, mild green chilies and small diced tomatoes... I use a mild chili powder spice blend along with freshly ground cumin, coriander seeds and oregano

and I've been known to put cinnamon, cocoa powder as well as some instant espresso! I feel that it makes the other ingredients sing.

Oh, and I'm with Casey on using a large grind of beef... here in Arizona, they sell a grind of beef specifically for chili con carne, sort of a very, very small dice almost.

Now, in Hawaii we use not only ground beef but ground linguica sausage as well. A friend of ours who moved away from Hawaii and could no longer find linguica, she now uses sweet Italian sausage removed from it's casing, MMM!

Old 12-13-2018, 04:16 AM   #13
Cook

Personally, I much prefer pinto beans to any other kind. I also saute finely chopped onions, celery and garlic before adding it to my chili. And, of course, the beef is well browned before putting it in the pot with the other ingredients.

Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beans, beef, chili, ground beef, other