Chinese beef and broccoli

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biev

Senior Cook
Does anyone know how to make it? My husband loves to order that stuff, so I've been trying to figure out how to make it just right. My guess is it uses oyster sauce, a bit of soy sauce and sesame oil...?

biev said:
Does anyone know how to make it? My husband loves to order that stuff, so I've been trying to figure out how to make it just right. My guess is it uses oyster sauce, a bit of soy sauce and sesame oil...?

I've never followed a real recipe, but we've made it with beef, broccoli, bean sprouts, onion, garlic, ginger, grren pepper, sesame oil, peanut oil, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, beef sotck, corn starch, andf a dash of red pepper.

John

ohhhhh I have a recipe for it... hmm lemme go look if it is one that I brought with me to Canada... brb :)

...that sounds like it might work. I've been planning on making it tomorrow, I think I'll follow my beef with oyster sauce recipe and replace some ingredients. I'll let you know what I end up improvising for the sauce :-p

Here is how I make mine:

Broccoli - I cut mine into florets and then add them to salted boiling water for a minute and then drain and put it under cold water. This helps seal the color. I then drain and reserve it on the side.

I buy the beef thinly sliced (it says or stir frys). About 1/4 pound or so. I buy it in a pack.

I then finely mince about 3 cloves of garlic and grate 1/2 inch stick of ginger.

I make a sauce as follows:

3 tbsp of oyster sauce
2 tbsp of dark soy sauce
1 tsp of sesame oil
1 tsp of sambal or any other spicy chilli sauce
1/2 tsp of corn starch
2 tbsps of water

I stir all of these in a bowl.

I then heat up a wok or deep saute pan. I then add a tbsp of oil to it and add the ginger and garlic and saute it for a second and then immediately add the beef and stir it rigorously until the beef is no longer pink. Next I add the broccoli and the sauce and cook it on high for another few minutes.

I sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds on top of it and serve it with rice.

ok found it: this is real easy and good!

beef and broccoli

1 Tablespoon Veg. Oil
3/4 pound of steak sliced very thin
1 garlic clove, minced
1 onion sliced
1 10 3/4 oz cream of broccoli soup
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 cups broccoli sliced
in skillet heat oil and cook sliced steak and garlic until brown. Add sliced onion and cook another 5 minutes. Stir in cream of broccoli soup, water, and soy sauce. Heat to boiling then add sliced broccoli. cook until tender about 5 minutes.

Yakuta said:
Here is how I make mine:

Broccoli - I cut mine into florets and then add them to salted boiling water for a minute and then drain and put it under cold water. This helps seal the color. I then drain and reserve it on the side.

I buy the beef thinly sliced (it says or stir frys). About 1/4 pound or so. I buy it in a pack.

I then finely mince about 3 cloves of garlic and grate 1/2 inch stick of ginger.

I make a sauce as follows:

3 tbsp of oyster sauce
2 tbsp of dark soy sauce
1 tsp of sesame oil
1 tsp of sambal or any other spicy chilli sauce
1/2 tsp of corn starch
2 tbsps of water

I stir all of these in a bowl.

I then heat up a wok or deep saute pan. I then add a tbsp of oil to it and add the ginger and garlic and saute it for a second and then immediately add the beef and stir it rigorously until the beef is no longer pink. Next I add the broccoli and the sauce and cook it on high for another few minutes.

I sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds on top of it and serve it with rice.

This sounds great! I'll have to try this one!

John

Beef & Broccoli Stir-Fry

clear.gif
Yield: 2-3 servings
clear.gif

1/2 pound boneless tender beef steak (sirloin, rib eye or top loin)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
4 tablespoons Soy Sauce, divided
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root
1 clove garlic, minced
1 pound fresh broccoli
4 teaspoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
1 onion, chunked
Hot cooked rice
clear.gif

1. Cut beef across grain into thin slices. Combine 1 Tbsp. each cornstarch and soy sauce with sugar, ginger and garlic; stir in beef. Let stand 15 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, remove flowerets from broccoli; cut in half lengthwise. Peel stalks; cut crosswise into 1/8-inch slices.
  3. Combine 4 teaspoons cornstarch and remaining 3 Tbsp. soy sauce with 1-1/4 cups water.
  4. Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in large skillet or wok over high heat. Add meat and stir-fry 1 minute; remove from pan.
  5. Heat remaining 2 Tbsp. oil in same pan. Add broccoli and onion; stir-fry 4 minutes, or until vegetables are tender-crisp. Stir in meat and soy sauce mixture; bring to boil. Cook and stir only until sauce thickens.
  6. Serve immediately over rice.

Ha! Yakuta, that's pretty much what I had figured out, quantities and all.
But since I didn't have much time to experiment I ended up using a packet of chinese beef & brocoli sauce :-p It wasn't exactly like the restaurant but it was still delicious. Next time, I will try your recipe.

A pinch of baking soda in the water will make the broccoli even greener and it won't turn later.

Here's one I found on Recipe Source that looks awfully good:

Title: Stir Fried Beef and Broccoli in Oyster Sauce

Yield: 4 servings

3/4 lb Flank steak 1 tb Soy sauce
1 tb Rice wine 2 tb Water
1 tb Cornstarch 1/8 c Vegetable oil
3 ea Cloves garlic, minced 1 ts Chopped fresh ginger root
6 ea Green onions, chopped 1/3 c Water
1 lb Broccoli cut into florets
1 x -----------sauce------------
2 tb Oyster sauce 1 tb Soy sauce
1 tb Rice wine 1 tb Cornstarch

Cut meat across the grain into very thin slices. Place in a bowl and
combine with soy sauce, rice wine, water and cornstarch. Allow to marinate
at least 10 minutes. Meanwhile prepare remaining ingredients and stir
together sauce mixture. Heat oil in a wok or large skillet. Add meat and
cook, stirring constantly, until meat is about 75 per cent cooked. Remove
and reserve. Scrape out pan if necessary and return to heat. Add another 2
tablespoons oil if needed and heat. Add garlic, ginger and green onions and
cook 30 to 60 seconds until fragrant. Stir in cut-up broccoli and add
water. Cover and cook 3 minutes. Re-add beef to pan and combine well. Add
sauce to mixture and bring to boil. Cook until thickened and beef and
broccoli are cooked through. Serve with steamed rice.

Constance said:
Here's one I found on Recipe Source that looks awfully good:

Title: Stir Fried Beef and Broccoli in Oyster Sauce

Yield: 4 servings

3/4 lb Flank steak 1 tb Soy sauce
1 tb Rice wine 2 tb Water
1 tb Cornstarch 1/8 c Vegetable oil
3 ea Cloves garlic, minced 1 ts Chopped fresh ginger root
6 ea Green onions, chopped 1/3 c Water
1 lb Broccoli cut into florets
1 x -----------sauce------------
2 tb Oyster sauce 1 tb Soy sauce
1 tb Rice wine 1 tb Cornstarch

Cut meat across the grain into very thin slices. Place in a bowl and
combine with soy sauce, rice wine, water and cornstarch. Allow to marinate
at least 10 minutes. Meanwhile prepare remaining ingredients and stir
together sauce mixture. Heat oil in a wok or large skillet. Add meat and
cook, stirring constantly, until meat is about 75 per cent cooked. Remove
and reserve. Scrape out pan if necessary and return to heat. Add another 2
tablespoons oil if needed and heat. Add garlic, ginger and green onions and
cook 30 to 60 seconds until fragrant. Stir in cut-up broccoli and add
water. Cover and cook 3 minutes. Re-add beef to pan and combine well. Add
sauce to mixture and bring to boil. Cook until thickened and beef and
broccoli are cooked through. Serve with steamed rice.

That's one of my favorites, Constance. Copied/Saved. Thank you!

I tried Yakuta's beef and broccoli recipe last night and it was excellent. Used about a half pound of round steak and while still partially frozen I sliced it as thin as I could get it. Get all your ingredients together beforehand and it's easier than falling off a log.

Last edited:
No offense Shunka - but the baking soda thing is a restaurant trick used so that their pre/overcooked veggies look greener than their overcooking belies.

If cooking at home, there's absolutely no reason to have to resort to the baking soda trick.

use a slightly frozen boneless top sirloin trimmed of fat, slice thin across the grain, 1/8 in.saute quickly in a little peanut or sesame oil, remove, set aside, and add at end of stir frying brocoli and vegatbles.or it will over cook and be tough.go to an oriental grocery (cheaper) and buy sweet soy sauce(thai) hoisen sauce(chinese) sweet chili sauce,use with oyster sauce, mirin(sweet rice wine)' chicken stock, corn starch,soy sauce to your own taste.if too sweet add seasoned rice vinegar, black pepper, garlic, ginger.combine sauce ingrediants to taste,add corn starch add to vegatables and meat.stir fry quickly,serve over rice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom