"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 03-10-2006, 10:06 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Chinese beef and broccoli

Does anyone know how to make it? My husband loves to order that stuff, so I've been trying to figure out how to make it just right. My guess is it uses oyster sauce, a bit of soy sauce and sesame oil...?

Old 03-10-2006, 10:23 PM   #2
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by biev
Does anyone know how to make it? My husband loves to order that stuff, so I've been trying to figure out how to make it just right. My guess is it uses oyster sauce, a bit of soy sauce and sesame oil...?
I've never followed a real recipe, but we've made it with beef, broccoli, bean sprouts, onion, garlic, ginger, grren pepper, sesame oil, peanut oil, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, beef sotck, corn starch, andf a dash of red pepper.

John

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 10:34 PM   #3
Senior Cook

ohhhhh I have a recipe for it... hmm lemme go look if it is one that I brought with me to Canada... brb :)
Old 03-10-2006, 10:37 PM   #4
Senior Cook

...that sounds like it might work. I've been planning on making it tomorrow, I think I'll follow my beef with oyster sauce recipe and replace some ingredients. I'll let you know what I end up improvising for the sauce
Old 03-10-2006, 10:47 PM   #5
Head Chef

Here is how I make mine:

Broccoli - I cut mine into florets and then add them to salted boiling water for a minute and then drain and put it under cold water. This helps seal the color. I then drain and reserve it on the side.

I buy the beef thinly sliced (it says or stir frys). About 1/4 pound or so. I buy it in a pack.

I then finely mince about 3 cloves of garlic and grate 1/2 inch stick of ginger.

I make a sauce as follows:

3 tbsp of oyster sauce
2 tbsp of dark soy sauce
1 tsp of sesame oil
1 tsp of sambal or any other spicy chilli sauce
1/2 tsp of corn starch
2 tbsps of water

I stir all of these in a bowl.

I then heat up a wok or deep saute pan. I then add a tbsp of oil to it and add the ginger and garlic and saute it for a second and then immediately add the beef and stir it rigorously until the beef is no longer pink. Next I add the broccoli and the sauce and cook it on high for another few minutes.

I sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds on top of it and serve it with rice.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:53 PM   #6
Senior Cook

ok found it: this is real easy and good!

beef and broccoli

1 Tablespoon Veg. Oil
3/4 pound of steak sliced very thin
1 garlic clove, minced
1 onion sliced
1 10 3/4 oz cream of broccoli soup
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 cups broccoli sliced
in skillet heat oil and cook sliced steak and garlic until brown. Add sliced onion and cook another 5 minutes. Stir in cream of broccoli soup, water, and soy sauce. Heat to boiling then add sliced broccoli. cook until tender about 5 minutes.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:59 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuta
Here is how I make mine:

Broccoli - I cut mine into florets and then add them to salted boiling water for a minute and then drain and put it under cold water. This helps seal the color. I then drain and reserve it on the side.

I buy the beef thinly sliced (it says or stir frys). About 1/4 pound or so. I buy it in a pack.

I then finely mince about 3 cloves of garlic and grate 1/2 inch stick of ginger.

I make a sauce as follows:

3 tbsp of oyster sauce
2 tbsp of dark soy sauce
1 tsp of sesame oil
1 tsp of sambal or any other spicy chilli sauce
1/2 tsp of corn starch
2 tbsps of water

I stir all of these in a bowl.

I then heat up a wok or deep saute pan. I then add a tbsp of oil to it and add the ginger and garlic and saute it for a second and then immediately add the beef and stir it rigorously until the beef is no longer pink. Next I add the broccoli and the sauce and cook it on high for another few minutes.

I sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds on top of it and serve it with rice.
This sounds great! I'll have to try this one!

John

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 12:15 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Beef & Broccoli Stir-Fry

1/2 pound boneless tender beef steak (sirloin, rib eye or top loin)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
4 tablespoons Soy Sauce, divided
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root
1 clove garlic, minced
1 pound fresh broccoli
4 teaspoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
1 onion, chunked
Hot cooked rice
  1. Cut beef across grain into thin slices. Combine 1 Tbsp. each cornstarch and soy sauce with sugar, ginger and garlic; stir in beef. Let stand 15 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, remove flowerets from broccoli; cut in half lengthwise. Peel stalks; cut crosswise into 1/8-inch slices.
  3. Combine 4 teaspoons cornstarch and remaining 3 Tbsp. soy sauce with 1-1/4 cups water.
  4. Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in large skillet or wok over high heat. Add meat and stir-fry 1 minute; remove from pan.
  5. Heat remaining 2 Tbsp. oil in same pan. Add broccoli and onion; stir-fry 4 minutes, or until vegetables are tender-crisp. Stir in meat and soy sauce mixture; bring to boil. Cook and stir only until sauce thickens.
  6. Serve immediately over rice.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:21 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Ha! Yakuta, that's pretty much what I had figured out, quantities and all.
But since I didn't have much time to experiment I ended up using a packet of chinese beef & brocoli sauce It wasn't exactly like the restaurant but it was still delicious. Next time, I will try your recipe.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:44 PM   #10
Head Chef

A pinch of baking soda in the water will make the broccoli even greener and it won't turn later.

Tags
None