Choice Beef Chuck Shoulder Cross Rib Roast BNLS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caslon

Executive Chef
Wow, I had to save the label to post that long name. It's a petite 1.18 lb. roast, not tied with strings ($6.99 a lb). I Googled a few recipes for how best to cook it in the oven. I don't have balsamic vinegar, just white and apple cider. One reply said adding sugar to clear vinegar is an ok substitute. Another reply said to add one tablespoon of soy sauce to one tablespoon of white vinegar (she swears by it). I think I'll try that.

Here are the two recipe suggestions I will start from.

How to Cook Cross-Cut Rib Roast Indoors | LIVESTRONG.COM

Cross Rib Roast Recipe - Food.com

I like the one suggestion of setting the oven very hot and then turning down the temp. I'm a bit concerned with that method because the roast is so small. I just don't want it turning out medium inside, nor so rare that there's a lot of red juice pouring out when I go to slice it. I have a wired oven temp probe.

By the way...what does the BNLS stand for on the label?

Hi, Caslon. For one that small, I would season it with s and p (or whatever seasonings you like), quickly sear it on the stovetop, then add beef broth, cover, and slow roast in the oven at 300 for an hour or two, till tender.

You could add some quartered onions and carrots when you put it in the oven if you'd like, save the pan juices, add a little flour and stir, and you'd have a nice gravy.

'BNLS' on the label means boneless. :)

Thanks. Ya...reading back about roasting roast posts, that cut of meat is a bit chewy if you try and quick roast it.

Last edited:
Reading several sources for this cut suggest it's best cooked as a pot roast. You may find it tough as an oven roast.

Reading several sources for this cut suggest it's best cooked as a pot roast. You may find it tough as an oven roast.

I guess...only... it looked so knife slice able in that pic. I'd like to cut the end result the same, not have it fall apart like pulled pork.

Last edited:
I guess...only... it looked so knife slice able in that pic. I'd like to cut the end result the same, not have it fall apart like pulled pork.

It's worth a try. It certainly won't take long to cook at 1.18 Lb.

$6.99 a pound is crazy for pot roast. I jut saw boneless chuck roast on sale for $3.99 a pound.
I can buy NY Strip for $7.99 a pound.

Albertsons has chuck roast on sale for $3.99/lb now - going to pick up a couple of them to freeze for future beef stew. :yum:

Ahem...I'm not sure the chuck roast you're all talking about, price wise, is the same cut of meat as what I bought.

Is that what I bought? Pot roast? :rolleyes:

Thanks Andy. I hope to slow roast it and yet be able to slice it without it falling apart like pulled pork.
It looks so delicious in that recipe pic, but that was a much larger piece.

Last edited:
I don't know, Caslon...the pic does look nicely med rare and sliceable. I've never done a chuck roast that way, I've always treated it as a pot roast or for making stew or chili. But as Andy says, maybe it's worth a try.

I looked around a little and found this site, it appears cross cut is just another name for pot roast. I got the impression you're in California, I could be wrong - but for a wonderful slicing roast have you ever tried roasting a tri tip? They're delicious. :yum:

Cross Rib Roast (Beef Shoulder Roast)

Last edited:
I don't know, Caslon...the pic does look nicely med rare and sliceable. I've never done a chuck roast that way, I've always treated it as a pot roast or for making stew or chili. But as Andy says, maybe it's worth a try.

I looked around a little and found this site, it appears cross cut is just another name for pot roast. I got the impression you're in California, I could be wrong - but for a wonderful slicing roast have you ever tried roasting a tri tip? They're delicious. :yum:

Cross Rib Roast (Beef Shoulder Roast)

That sounds ok. I've bookmarked it. The hot oven method has the roast done in 20 min or so. That seems too soon. I suspect the roast would cook up a bit tough.

If it comes out tough and difficult to chew, you can cut it up and use it for beef stew.

But I would go with the braising as in a pot roast and not have to go that route. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom