Chopped Steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
While with my kids in Olympia, Wa., not far from the Capitol Building, we stopped to get a bite at an unassuming little restaurant whose name I dearly wish I could recall. I ordered a hamburger (their burgers are all half-pounders) and some cole slaw. The patty came with standard lettuce and tomato, pickles and onions, on a freshly made bun. I was prepared to eat a regular tasting burger. I was suprised when the waitress asked me how well done I wanted my burger though. Well, I took my first bite and was in shock. I could have sworn that I was eating a high-quality steak, cooked perfectly medium rare. It had that great flame-grilled flavor, coupled with a slightly iron/metalic flavor that comes with good beef.

To make this story short, I loved it and set out to recreate it at home. I purchased a small top sirloin and a lean chuck steak, and cubed them up. I then through them into the food processor and pulsed the unit about twelve times, as suggested by Alton Brown. I lightly seasoned the meat patty while pan frying it to a medium rare. My wife loved hers, though she said it was not quite as tender as the one from the restaurant. Mine was the same. I think maybe I need to process it more. Mine was a bit juicier though, but not as flavorful. They must have had access to better beef. This was still much better than ordinary hamburger, and if I were to fire up the grill, it would be better still.

Any suggestions on how I can improve my chopped steak would be appreciated.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

>>improvements

use a meat grinder vs the food processor.

yeah, it more of a pain, but it does produce results. I have the old fashioned cast iron, 3 generations old, hand cranked, clip on the table edge, multiple size cutting disks, type.

in my experimenting, double ground on the big disk produces a good texture. that applies to my "gadget" - yours may vary....

it tastes fresher, takes seasonings better (nope, can't explain that either...)

you get to pick your cut, fat content, age fact.....

That's what I was thinking. I was surprised when I saw the episode with AB using a food processor. I think the texture is better using a grinder. It seems that the processor "slices" the meat into itty bitty bits whereas the grinder has more of an "itty bitty chunk" type of texture. Not sure if I am describing it well...

Also, with a grinder you get uniformity; with a food processor it's fairly impossible to get everything at the exact same texture - you more than likely end up with little bits + partial puree.

When we still had our boy to cook for, I used to buy a whole sirloin tip when the were on sale. I'd cut a couple of slices for Swiss Steak and such, then grind the rest for chopped steaks. I used the meat grinder on my electric mixer, but before I got that, I used the old hand crank type, which worked just fine. It just took a little more "elbow".

Back
Top Bottom