"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 08-01-2007, 04:15 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to goodgiver
Chuck Eye Steaks

Can any one tell me how to prepare chuck eye steaks?

Old 08-01-2007, 10:08 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Chuck eye is a pretty tough steak to grill and eat. They are better suited to a slow, moist cooking method such as braising.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:54 AM   #3
Master Chef

Is it like a delmonico steak? I was thinking chuck eye's were more like a rib eye in a sense, just not as neat looking and more fatty tissue to deal with. Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong cut of steak?
Old 08-01-2007, 11:13 AM   #4
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Actually Chuck Eye steaks are fairly tender. Like sattie said, kind of like a ribeye, but not as neat (they can look rather sloppy and disheveled) and with a bit more fat. They are fairly small, typically roundish in shape and about 4 - 5 inches in diameter.

This cut should not be confused with a Chuck steak which is tough.

Depending on where you go, Chuck Eyes are hard to find. But if you can find that cut, they are fairly inexpensive, fairly tender (not as tender as a ribeye, but very close) and flavorful. My butcher says the Chuck Eye steak comes from the eye portion of the Chuck Eye roast. It’s the most tender part of that roast, and as such, not many markets or butchers will cut it away and sell it individually.

I love this cut of meat. I grill them over med-high charcoals for 4 minutes a side for a medium rare steak. You can also pan fry/grill them. Basically, any way you cook a ribeye is how you cook a Chuck Eye.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:18 AM   #5
Master Chef

Thanks keltin... that was what I was thinking a chuch-eye was. I use to always look for them when I went shopping because they are such a nice bargain for a tenden, flavorful cut of meat apart from the fatty tissue.

I have grilled and pan fried these puppies and they are wonderful either way!
Old 08-01-2007, 11:19 AM   #6
Senior Cook

I had these for dinner last night. Salt, pepper,

rubbed with a clove of garlic and grilled over charcoal. Very tender and I think thay have just about the best flavor of any steak. Certainly the best flavor of any affordable steak.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:59 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin
You can also pan fry/grill them. Basically, any way you cook a ribeye is how you cook a Chuck Eye.

Exactly!! Hot & Fast, not low and slow is the way to go!! They can be hard to find in some market areas. When you do find them, obviously look for the most marbling to make you selection and....

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 12:51 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

I was assuming the chuck eye was cut from the eye round roast. My mistake. I see it's a different cut.

I agree they should be cooked quickly over high heat.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:56 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Does this cut have another name? Never heard of chuck eye, so it is either not available here or has a different name (I think)
Old 08-11-2007, 10:17 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitmondol
Does this cut have another name? Never heard of chuck eye, so it is either not available here or has a different name (I think)
I've have never "seen" them called anything but a Chuck-Eye. I have heard of them refered to as Chuck Filet and Mock Tender. They are not an 'everyday" item in most meat markets especially in todays world where so many chain stores use pre-cut beef. In years past when retailers actually "cut' a lot of beef the Chuck-eye was cut from the primal chuck roast that comes from the shoulder/neck area of the animal. You may have to go to a specialty butcher and have them cut for you.

Enjoy!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None