Chuck roast, looking for different ways

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nhoj

Assistant Cook
I would like to know different ways to make Chuck Roast besides making a roast out of it?

I have so many roast that I don't care for roast all the time.

How to make the Chuck Roast tender is another problem that I have. Just how do you make the roast tender?

I have cook it in a Slow Cooker, I have roasted it in a 275 Oven and still it come's out tough and dry.

Also how do you make the roast savory, aromatic and juicy?

I now have to care for my wife since she has ALS and no longer cooks.

Thank-You and am looking forward in learning how to cook.

Welcome to DC.

Chuck roast is not a cut you should make as an oven roast (similar to prime rib or sirloin strip roast). It's a tougher cut that does best cooked slower for long periods of time.

Chuck roasts are great for pot roast, cut up for beef stew, chili, ground for burgers, etc.

Last edited:
Agree with Andy. Ground chuck makes great burger, which you can also use for meatballs, chili, spaghetti sauce, etc.

Braising is always a good choice (pot roast). You change it up by varying the different spices and braising liquids.

Last edited:
I make the Giada D'Laurentiis recipe regularly. Great flavors!

The key to any great pot roast is to brown the meat well on all sides. A nice dark brown (the color of dark chocolate) generates great flavor.

Last edited:
You can always shred it, I will do this once and a while, I put it on the sliver and shred it as thin as I have the patience for, then you cook it how ever you like... Braising is the best bet..

Shredded Beef

1 chuck roast
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 large onion, diced
2 tsp salt
2 tbs fresh cilantro, minced
water

Sprinkle the salt liberally over the roast. Use a fork to pierce the roast until your tired of poking holes in it. Heat a large, heavy skillet over high heat. Rub with a little oil. Place the roast into the pan and sear to brown it, for about four minutes per side. Turn off the heat. Place the roast into a slow cooker set at medium heat, with the other ingredients distributed over the top. Add enough water to have submerge the roast. Set the heat on the slow cooker for mediuim. Let cook overnight.

Alternate:
After browning the roast, place into a pressure cooker with enough water to almost cover it. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring the pressure cooker to temp (the regulator starts dancing), and reduce heat until the regulator barely moves. Cook for 1 hour. Remove pressure according to the manufacturer instructions.

Place teh cooked roast onto a platter and shred apart with two, sturdy forks. Enjoy as a filling for tacos, burritos, enchiladas, etc. you can even serve on bread with the pan juices made into a gravy.

Recipe number 2:
Roulaide

Ingredients:
1 chuck roast
2 cups bread cubes
2 tbs. ground sage
1 onion, choped
1 stalk celery, chopped
8 oz. fresh mushrooms
1 tsp salt
2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 cup chicken broth

Sprinkle roast with salt. Pound flat to an even thickness with a meat mallet. Combine the chicken broth, and remaining ingredients in a large sauce pan, and heat over medium heat, stirring every couple minutes until the bread cubes are softened. Remove from heat. Saute the mushrooms in a tbs. of butter until tender, and lightly browned. Add to the breadcrumb mixture.

Spread the stuffing mixture in and even layer over the whole roast. Roll the roast and tie to hold the roll with butcher's twine. Place into a covered roasting pan and place into a 290' oven for three hours. Remove and slice into rounds. Serve with green veggie, and smashed spuds with gravy made from the pan juices.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

There is a favorite chuck roast recipe that I've been making for over 50 years and everyone loves it. Plus, if you are a mashed taters person, the gravy is the ticket. Here's what to do:

Take out two very large sheets of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Quite enough to securely wrap the 3- to 4-pound roast you will be cooking. Place one sheet of foil on top of the other.

Put the chuck roast in the center of the foil. Spread on a can of cream of mushroom soup, undiluted, on the top of the roast. Sprinkle one envelope of dry onion soup mix. Over the years I have reduced the soup mix because, to me it seems too salty. Just make your own decision here. I usually also add a 4-ounce can of drained mushroom stems and pieces, sprinkled over the top of the onion soup.

Fold foil over top of roast and roll the long edges together to make a secure seal. Fold short ends up and roll to tightly seal.

Place the whole works in a 9- x 13-inch baking dish, pour about 1/2 inch of water in the baking dish. Bake the roast in a preheated 350F oven for about 2 hours.

Remove from the oven and, very carefully, open the top of the foil. Inside, you will discover a tender, flavorful roast with lots and lots of gravy.

I've also put all the ingredients in my crock-pot and cooked on LOW for about 8 hours with equally tasty results.

Last edited:
How about oven beef stew.

Cut a pound of chuck into cubes. A couple of carrots, potatoes, onions and celery ribs into chunks. Put everything into a casserole with a tight fitting lid, add a 10 3/4 ounce can of undiluted cream of tomato soup, salt, pepper, a bay leaf and a shot of Worcestershire sauce. No need to brown the meat, just toss everything together and bake covered in a 325 to 350 oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

I used to leave out the potatoes and serve it over mashed potatoes.

This is a great way to use up a freezer full of venison.

If you don't like to use canned soup substitute a small can of tomato sauce or some leftover marinara sauce.

I like to cube up a chuck roast for stew or chili, less expensive than reg stew meat.

You can use a cut up chuck roast to make Sunday Gravy / Italian Red Sauce for pasta.

I am making a pot roast for tomorrow's dinner. Got a nice 3 lb roast at the store today. My method is to brown the roast in a little oil. Remove from the dutch oven. Add a pile of sliced onions to form a natural trivet in the pan. Sprinkle on some herbs, ( rosemary, thyme, marjoram or savory - what you like) on the roast and lay some more onions on top of the roast.

Return the roast to the pot. Add liquid ( broth, `~1 cup red wine, water) to the pan until it reaches half way or so up the roast. Add a couple bay leaves. Slow braise at 275-300 degrees F about one hour per pound of beef or about 3-4 hours at a low temp. After about halfway done, I add All The Carrots within a half mile radius. If there is still room in the pot, a few cut up potatoes. I LIKE oven browned potatoes, but am willing to sacrifice for more carrots. (Make mashed potatoes instead). Add more liquid if a lot has cooked away. Get out the turkey baster and start basting the carrots and taters that are above the liquid line every 20 minutes or so until the roast is done.

Remove roast to a platter and cover with foil. Mash the onions that are on the bottom of the pot with a hand potato masher or a vertical wooden masher pounder thingie that I found at a sale once. The onions should have practically melted. Proceed how you usually make gravy. Meat is super moist and tender.

Good thing I am not making this now. I forgot to rub in some salt/pepper before browning and thin slice some garlic cloves into the braising liquid and fish out the bay leaves/ herb sprigs before making gravy.

Use leftovers to make hot roast beef sammies or stew or cottage pie.

Last edited:
You have given me some of the best recipes and really look forward in making these.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to make BBQ Beef Sandwiches out of Chuck Roast.

I really am looking forward now to make a Chuck Roast now.

I also would like to know how you make potatoes browned in butter. I am not sure if you boil the potatoes first and than brown the potatoes. I have tried this and they did not come out good, they all fall apart.

You have given me some of the best recipes and really look forward in making these.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to make BBQ Beef Sandwiches out of Chuck Roast.

I also would like to know how you make potatoes browned in butter. I am not sure if you boil the potatoes first and than brown the potatoes. I have tried this and they did not come out good, they all fall apart.

BBQ beef sandwiches I would definitely use the shred method, I would also do a tenderizing marinade, I use Kiwi, pineapple seems to work the fastest but I don't like the end result..
Simply pick a marinade recipe and add some kiwi that you process into a liquid with a food processor or blender... The kiwis acids {I forget what its called} breaks down the connective tissue and doesn't turn the meat to mush like pineapple can, you wont taste any kiwi in the meat after its cooked, but you will notice night and day tender difference...

I would shred and then bag in a marinade that I add liquified kiwi to...
So in your case, shred the meat, make your bbq sauce and then add the kiwi, marinade your shredded meat, and then cook it how you want...

Another trick to an awesome bbq beef sandwich is to add some well done non bbq meat in there, I pick the fattiest pieces and dont bbq them, over cook them a bit till almost crispy then make the sandwich and put a piece of the well done fatty beef right on top....

Last edited:
You can use the Chief's recipe for shredded beef for BBQ beef. Once it's cooked and shredded, mix it with your favorite BBQ sauce and voilà! Shredded BBQ beef :)

You might want to start a new thread about the potatoes so it doesn't get lost in this one.

Hi nhoj, and welcome to DC. :flowers:

If you're looking for an easy and good way to make BBQ beef sandwiches for you and your love, just slow cook your roast as others have suggested, until it's fall apart tender.

Remove and discard any hunks of fat, put the roast in a large bowl or on a cutting board, get a couple of forks, and just start shredding. :) Once it's shredded, add your favorite bottled BBQ sauce and mix it in until it's the consistency you want.

It makes an especially good sandwich if you split a couple of hoagie rolls and toast them cut side down in a dry preheated skillet until they are toasted nice and brown, then add your shredded beef mixture and enjoy. :yum:

I am looking forward in making these and hope that my wife will be able to eat this tender beef and sandwiches.

I hope and pray that you and your love ones never get ALS.

I also have New York steaks hat are tough, any ideals of how to make these tender?

I want my wife to enjoy her meals.

When you're feeling a little Mexican:

Beef Barbacoa

Ingredients:
* 1 tsp kosher salt
* ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
* 1 tsp Mexican oregano
* ¾ tsp ground cumin
* ¾ tsp chili powder
* 2¼ pounds boneless chuck, trimmed and cut into large pieces
* 2 Tbs cooking oil
* 2 chipotle peppers
* 1 Tbs adobo sauce from chipotle peppers
* 1 cup beef broth
* 1 tsp garlic, minced

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 300°.
Put the first 5 ingredients into a small bowl and whisk to combine. Rub the spice mixture evenly over the beef, wrap it in plastic and refrigerate it for from 4 hours to overnight. Remove the beef from the refrigerator and allow it to come to room temperature.

Heat a large Dutch oven over high heat. Pour the 2 Tbs cooking oil into Dutch oven and heat to shimmering. When the cooking oil starts to shimmer, add the beef and brown on all sides. Add the beef broth and garlic to the Dutch oven and deglaze it. Stir in the chipotles in adobo sauce, cover the Dutch oven and place it in the oven at 300°F for 3 hours, until the beef is very tender. Cool to room temperature.

Remove the beef from the Dutch oven and pour the liquid into a fat separator. Shred the beef with 2 forks. Return the beef and the defatted liquid to the Dutch oven. Bring the shredded beef and liquid to a simmer over medium-high heat. Simmer mixture, stirring occasionally, until all of the liquid evaporates. Reduce the heat to medium, and sauté the beef until it is crisp on the edges. Transfer the beef to a serving bowl.

And you can use the leftovers for a Mexican style breakfast the next day:

Eggs Barbacoa

Ingredients:
* 1 large corn or flour tortilla
* ¼ Tbs butter
* 1 large egg
* kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
* ½ cup warm Beef Barbacoa
* ½ cup Ranch Style Beans
* ½ cup Mexican rice
* ½ cup salsa
* ½ cup queso fresco, crumbled
* sliced scallions and fresh cilantro for garnish
* lime wedge

Instructions:
Simmer the Ranch beans in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally.

Melt ¼ Tbs butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place 1 tortilla in the pan and cook for 30 seconds on each side, or until toasted.
In the same non-stick skillet, cook the eggs to your preference; sunny side up, over easy, basted, scrambled, etc. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serving Suggestion: Place a tortilla on a plate. Place the egg on the tortilla at 9 o’clock and the Beef Barbacoa at 3 o’clock. Add ½ cup of the ranch style beans on the tortilla at 6 o’clock and ½ cup Mexican rice at 12 o’clock. Top with salsa and queso fresco and garnish with scallions and fresh cilantro. Serve with a lime wedge.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom