"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 01-14-2015, 02:08 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Post Chuck roast, looking for different ways

I would like to know different ways to make Chuck Roast besides making a roast out of it?

I have so many roast that I don't care for roast all the time.

How to make the Chuck Roast tender is another problem that I have. Just how do you make the roast tender?

I have cook it in a Slow Cooker, I have roasted it in a 275 Oven and still it come's out tough and dry.

Also how do you make the roast savory, aromatic and juicy?

I now have to care for my wife since she has ALS and no longer cooks.

Thank-You and am looking forward in learning how to cook.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:10 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Welcome to DC.

Chuck roast is not a cut you should make as an oven roast (similar to prime rib or sirloin strip roast). It's a tougher cut that does best cooked slower for long periods of time.

Chuck roasts are great for pot roast, cut up for beef stew, chili, ground for burgers, etc.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:21 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Agree with Andy. Ground chuck makes great burger, which you can also use for meatballs, chili, spaghetti sauce, etc.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:29 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Braising is always a good choice (pot roast). You change it up by varying the different spices and braising liquids.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:08 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I love pot roast. Here are a couple of recipes to show you how they can be made.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/g...ms-recipe.html

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/...f-6e1adf370797

Pot roast can be put together and then left alone to cook for hours. And it makes the house smell great!
Old 01-14-2015, 03:24 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

I make the Giada D'Laurentiis recipe regularly. Great flavors!

The key to any great pot roast is to brown the meat well on all sides. A nice dark brown (the color of dark chocolate) generates great flavor.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:47 PM   #7
Senior Cook

You can always shred it, I will do this once and a while, I put it on the sliver and shred it as thin as I have the patience for, then you cook it how ever you like... Braising is the best bet..
Old 01-14-2015, 05:24 PM   #8
Master Chef

Shredded Beef

1 chuck roast
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 large onion, diced
2 tsp salt
2 tbs fresh cilantro, minced
water

Sprinkle the salt liberally over the roast. Use a fork to pierce the roast until your tired of poking holes in it. Heat a large, heavy skillet over high heat. Rub with a little oil. Place the roast into the pan and sear to brown it, for about four minutes per side. Turn off the heat. Place the roast into a slow cooker set at medium heat, with the other ingredients distributed over the top. Add enough water to have submerge the roast. Set the heat on the slow cooker for mediuim. Let cook overnight.

Alternate:
After browning the roast, place into a pressure cooker with enough water to almost cover it. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring the pressure cooker to temp (the regulator starts dancing), and reduce heat until the regulator barely moves. Cook for 1 hour. Remove pressure according to the manufacturer instructions.

Place teh cooked roast onto a platter and shred apart with two, sturdy forks. Enjoy as a filling for tacos, burritos, enchiladas, etc. you can even serve on bread with the pan juices made into a gravy.

Recipe number 2:
Roulaide

Ingredients:
1 chuck roast
2 cups bread cubes
2 tbs. ground sage
1 onion, choped
1 stalk celery, chopped
8 oz. fresh mushrooms
1 tsp salt
2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 cup chicken broth

Sprinkle roast with salt. Pound flat to an even thickness with a meat mallet. Combine the chicken broth, and remaining ingredients in a large sauce pan, and heat over medium heat, stirring every couple minutes until the bread cubes are softened. Remove from heat. Saute the mushrooms in a tbs. of butter until tender, and lightly browned. Add to the breadcrumb mixture.

Spread the stuffing mixture in and even layer over the whole roast. Roll the roast and tie to hold the roll with butcher's twine. Place into a covered roasting pan and place into a 290' oven for three hours. Remove and slice into rounds. Serve with green veggie, and smashed spuds with gravy made from the pan juices.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 05:59 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Welcome to DC.

What else do you like to cook?
Old 01-14-2015, 06:42 PM   #10
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
365 Days of Slow Cooking: 20 Ways to Use Beef Chuck Roast in the Slow Cooker

Tags
roast