"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 12-06-2007, 02:03 PM   #31
Certified Pretend Chef

IMHO boneless chuck roast is the best cut for pot roasting.

Note that pot roast is not a cut of meat. When you cook a large cut of meat in a closed container such as a dutch oven, in the presence of liquid, you are braising. You braise a cut of meat such as a chuck roast. The resulting dish is a pot roast.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:09 PM   #32
Head Chef

opps my bad. i ment chuck vs rump or any other tyope of cut

Old 12-06-2007, 02:16 PM   #33
Certified Pretend Chef

That's different. I agree with the butcher that chuck is the best cut. I use it for all my slow cooked dishes - pot roast, stew, chili.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:02 PM   #34
Head Chef

does chuck have to be braised or can it be roasted in dry heat
Old 12-06-2007, 03:19 PM   #35
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
according to the butcher at my local store, he says that a chuck roast is better than a pot roast because the chuck has part of the "eye" in it. i looked to see what he meant and i could see exactly what he was talking about. It reminded me of rib eye roast. According to him you can get a chuck roast that is cut off from part of the rib section. Maybe i can go to the store and pick one up and take a pic for ya.
I'm not sure what he may be talking about as far as a chuck roast from the rib section.

The chuck section is the area of the lower neck and shoulder which goes back to the rib section. Both short ribs and flanken style ribs come from the chuck as well as the cross rib roast.

The best cut of chuck is the chuck eye roast which is boneless. Other cuts include the top blade roast, shoulder pot roast, blade roast, under blade roast, 7 bone roast, and mock tender roast.

I agree 100% with Andy. The chuck is the only reasonable priced cut that braises with good flavor, tenderness, and doesn't come out stringy or dry.

There are cuts from the rib that will work to but who wants to pay $9.00/ lb for pot roast?

I have also recently found out that ground chuck makes the best burgers, IMO though not the leanest by far.

Mozart
Old 12-06-2007, 03:20 PM   #36
Certified Pretend Chef

Generally, it should be braised. There is a fair amount of connective tissue and it's a miscle that worked hard on the beast so it would be tough of dry roasted.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:35 PM   #37
Head Chef

yeah he said that the chuck eye was near the rib section hence why it had an eye. the odd thing is i went to another store and there butcher said the exact same thing. but im not a butcher so who knows. all i know is that it is dang tasty.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:43 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Pacanis ~ I can't add much but your title got a giggle out of me. I watch the TV series Chuck and all the titles are Chuck verses "X" (the helicopter, the crown vic, etc) and your title just made me laugh.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:16 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

LOL, I guess it would then.
I don't think I get that show......

Tags
None