CI's Ultimate Beef Tenderloin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eatsOats

Senior Cook
That's what was for dinner last night. Started with 3 lbs of center-cut beef tenderloin (chateaubriand) that I picked up in cryovac for $8.00/lb. The filling was a mixture of carmelized onions, crimini mushrooms, garlic, and marsala wine. Opened it up like a book, seasoned inside with S&P, spread in the cooled filling, topped it with baby spinach, rolled it up and tied it off, made a paste with olive oil, salt & pepper and spread it on the outside, let it sit for an hour at room temp, browned all sides in a 12" fry, into the oven at 450F until it hit 120F. Here's what it looked like when it came out:

Attachments

• Beef Tenderloin 05MAR07.JPG
    Beef Tenderloin 05MAR07.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 206
I made an herb butter with fresh thyme, parsely, garlic, whole-grain mustard, S&P, spread the butter on top and loosely tented it, and let it rest for 15 minutes. Much to my surprise (and dismay) the temp rose to slightly over 130F during the rest! I was expecting a little more than half that... in any case the cut was served with extra herb butter on the side, and some brussels sprouts. Very delicious, indeed!

Attachments

• Beef Tenderloin 05MAR07 (4).JPG
    Beef Tenderloin 05MAR07 (4).JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 222
just seeing this...absolutely beautiful! I can just imagine the mouth feel and taste. question...how long did it take to get to 120F?

Barbara: I'm sure you're right. This was the first time I've ever done beef tenderloin and I was in a hurry for some praise! lol.

Robo: I'm at 4100 ft, but I think it was a little over 20 minutes.

I think it is absolutely beautiful! I can't think of a soul that wouldn't be proud to serve that tenderloin. Great filling too...."The filling was a mixture of carmelized onions, crimini mushrooms, garlic, and marsala wine."

Now I'd like to find a cryovac tenderloin for $8.00/lb. :)

^^I buy all my beef and pork from a company called "Cash & Carry" that is a chain here on the west coast. I have no idea how far east they extend. They cater to restaurants and bulk buyers. One of the best deals I get there is boneless NY for a tad over $4/lb. I usually get one about 12-13lbs in cryovac and cut my own steaks and foodsaver them individually. Very economical!

I live in Southern California and will check and see of Cash & Carry is down here as well. Thanks for the tip. I need an excuse to buy a foodsaver :)

Back
Top Bottom