Cooking up half a eye-round roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caslon

Executive Chef
I'm planning on sawing in half a 2.4 lb. Eye of Round roast when it partially thaws and then oven roast it. It's evenly loaf shaped.

I'm not used to cooking this shape roast cut in half. It'll probably look like a really really thick steak after I saw it in half. Sear the ends and roast as usual?

Last edited:
How about doing something a little different, Cas?

I like to saw eye round into 1" thick steaks, then pound out and jaccard them (fork the hell out of them) to tenderize and make "minute" steaks for sandwiches.

A quick fry in some butter with minced garlic and minced onions, slap 'em on a kaiser roll with a slice of pepper jack, and you're good to go.

Just a thought.

Last edited:
To all, thanks. I'm gonna cut this roast in half and make it as delicious as I can as if it wasn't a roast cut in half. I'll sear it, all sides. I'm not used to oven roasting a roast cut in half. :LOL:

It should be "done" in no time. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Good call on cutting it in half against the grain. It'll come out less stringy. I'd probably cook it low and slow in the crockpot for 8 hours or so.

That one Mississippi Pot Roast recipe would probably work well with it -- a pack of ranch seasoning, pack of au jus gravy mix, stick of butter, pepperoncinis.

Last edited:
Good call on cutting it in half against the grain. It'll come out less stringy. I'd probably cook it low and slow in the crockpot for 8 hours or so.

This isn't really a good choice for a braise. It doesn't have enough connective tissue or fat to keep it moist during a long cook time. It's best to treat it as a thick steak.

I just cooked a one-pound top round roast in the pressure cooker last night. I knew it would probably be dry, but the roast had been frozen for a year and a half (I was quite sick for a while and didn't get done many of the things I planned), so I didn't think it would make a great beef roast. Anyway, I served it with a sauce and moist polenta so it tasted good, but it's definitely not the best way to cook this cut.

I thought about wrapping one end of the roast cut in half in aluminum foil. Maybe a thick mustard coating at one end. Seared.

The mustard will probably burn during searing. I would sear it and then, while it's resting, make a pan sauce with mustard. Deglaze the browned bits with water or broth or wine, add mustard and some kind of dairy (milk, cream, sour cream, plain yogurt), whisk it up and add salt and pepper to taste. You can also add herbs if you want.

What is the foil for?

I have a small package of this cut, part of a 40 lb box of mixed cuts I bought from a local farmer (grass fed Herefords). I understand that it is not an inspirational cut of beef to work with. So- I think I will combine a couple of suggestions from here in this thread. I'll pound it out into something like minute steaks. My meat hammer has gnarly side that should be perfect for this. Then I will serve it with some strong tasting sauce, like the mustard sauce recommended here.

I'm not a big fan of the eye of round cut, but one thing I've found it to be an acceptable choice for is stir fries. Sliced thin, velveted, and quick seared in oil is one method that will help keep it from turning into flavorless shoe leather.

Last edited:
My ex MIL treated eye round just like any beef roast for roasting.
Seared and then roasted and then rested to rare to medium rare.
I always liked it.

Back
Top Bottom