"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2017, 03:03 AM   #1
Head Chef

Cooking up half a eye-round roast

I'm planning on sawing in half a 2.4 lb. Eye of Round roast when it partially thaws and then oven roast it. It's evenly loaf shaped.

I'm not used to cooking this shape roast cut in half. It'll probably look like a really really thick steak after I saw it in half. Sear the ends and roast as usual?

Old 01-22-2017, 08:42 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

How about doing something a little different, Cas?

I like to saw eye round into 1" thick steaks, then pound out and jaccard them (fork the hell out of them) to tenderize and make "minute" steaks for sandwiches.

A quick fry in some butter with minced garlic and minced onions, slap 'em on a kaiser roll with a slice of pepper jack, and you're good to go.

Just a thought.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:56 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
My I humbly suggest this recipe
It would be wonderful with an eye round, I believe the orginal recipe did call for that cut, but I used chuck blade

Name:   Italian Pot Roast.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  50.4 KB
Old 01-22-2017, 12:53 PM   #4
Head Chef

To all, thanks. I'm gonna cut this roast in half and make it as delicious as I can as if it wasn't a roast cut in half. I'll sear it, all sides. I'm not used to oven roasting a roast cut in half.

It should be "done" in no time.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:56 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Good call on cutting it in half against the grain. It'll come out less stringy. I'd probably cook it low and slow in the crockpot for 8 hours or so.

That one Mississippi Pot Roast recipe would probably work well with it -- a pack of ranch seasoning, pack of au jus gravy mix, stick of butter, pepperoncinis.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:35 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_1138 View Post
Good call on cutting it in half against the grain. It'll come out less stringy. I'd probably cook it low and slow in the crockpot for 8 hours or so.
This isn't really a good choice for a braise. It doesn't have enough connective tissue or fat to keep it moist during a long cook time. It's best to treat it as a thick steak.

I just cooked a one-pound top round roast in the pressure cooker last night. I knew it would probably be dry, but the roast had been frozen for a year and a half (I was quite sick for a while and didn't get done many of the things I planned), so I didn't think it would make a great beef roast. Anyway, I served it with a sauce and moist polenta so it tasted good, but it's definitely not the best way to cook this cut.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:06 PM   #7
Head Chef

I thought about wrapping one end of the roast cut in half in aluminum foil. Maybe a thick mustard coating at one end. Seared.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:29 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
I thought about wrapping one end of the roast cut in half in aluminum foil. Maybe a thick mustard coating at one end. Seared.
The mustard will probably burn during searing. I would sear it and then, while it's resting, make a pan sauce with mustard. Deglaze the browned bits with water or broth or wine, add mustard and some kind of dairy (milk, cream, sour cream, plain yogurt), whisk it up and add salt and pepper to taste. You can also add herbs if you want.

What is the foil for?
Old 06-08-2017, 12:09 PM   #9
Senior Cook

I have a small package of this cut, part of a 40 lb box of mixed cuts I bought from a local farmer (grass fed Herefords). I understand that it is not an inspirational cut of beef to work with. So- I think I will combine a couple of suggestions from here in this thread. I'll pound it out into something like minute steaks. My meat hammer has gnarly side that should be perfect for this. Then I will serve it with some strong tasting sauce, like the mustard sauce recommended here.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:27 PM   #10
Wine Guy

I'm not a big fan of the eye of round cut, but one thing I've found it to be an acceptable choice for is stir fries. Sliced thin, velveted, and quick seared in oil is one method that will help keep it from turning into flavorless shoe leather.

Tags
cook, cooking, roast