"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 03-10-2006, 09:50 AM   #1
Chief Eating Officer

Corned Beef

I have never made this before, but would like to do so for St. Patties Day this year.

Can anyone give me advice from what to look for in the store to how to cook it? Would a crockpot be a good thing to use for this? Educate me my friends

Old 03-10-2006, 10:14 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Nowadays, the corned beef from the grocery stores are brisket. They have instructions on the packaging.

It really just needs to be simmered. A crockpot is a good way to do this. I did some a few years ago, and used my crockpot for it.

Old 03-10-2006, 10:19 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

There are two different cuts of corned beef brisket generally available, flat cut and point cut. Go for the flat cut, it's less fatty, a better fat to flesh ratio.

There are also the red and gray corned beefs. Red is the most generally available. It has been treated with nitrates or nitrites (can't remember which one) to keep it red as corning makes the meat gray.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:02 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Hi Gb, corned beef dinner is really easy! Most of the meat even comes with a little package of seasonings.

I just boil/simmer it on the top of a stove.. but I'm sure a crock would work well. I always add carrots and small red potatoes to mine and cabbage towards the very end.

Good luck and enjoy!
Old 03-10-2006, 11:04 AM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

Thanks guys. I have always been intimidated by this for some strange reason. I have no idea why. I don't feel that way anymore. I can't wait to make this now.

When you do it on the stovetop, about how long does it take?
Old 03-10-2006, 11:07 AM   #6
Sous Chef

GB it's also been in my experieince that simmered corned beef shrinks like crazy- that's why tomorrow I am making about 14 lbs of corned beef for 10 people- ok most of these people are gavones (sp)so I am making sure that there will be enough for seconds -nothing I hate more than running short and people wanting more- this has only happened to me 2x and both times was because I didn't go with my gut instinct and listened to someone else.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:11 AM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

Always go with your gut!

I will just be making it for my wife and me and if my little girl like it she will eat it too, but she is little so she really won't make a dent in it
Old 03-10-2006, 11:11 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Gb... I cook it for a few hours... if I remember right. It's been a while.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:15 AM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Like a pot roast, cook it until the meat is tender. Two to three hours depending on size. As vicki said, they shrink like crazy so buy more than you think you'll need.

Remember to cut it across the grain as you would a flank steak. The leftovers make a great sandwich.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:21 AM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

OK if I end up doing this in the crockpot and suggestions on how much and what type of liquid I should add? I am thinking I will have the corned beef, red potatoes, and cabbage in there.

Tags
None