Corned Beef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I have never made this before, but would like to do so for St. Patties Day this year.

Can anyone give me advice from what to look for in the store to how to cook it? Would a crockpot be a good thing to use for this? Educate me my friends :)

Nowadays, the corned beef from the grocery stores are brisket. They have instructions on the packaging.

It really just needs to be simmered. A crockpot is a good way to do this. I did some a few years ago, and used my crockpot for it.

There are two different cuts of corned beef brisket generally available, flat cut and point cut. Go for the flat cut, it's less fatty, a better fat to flesh ratio.

There are also the red and gray corned beefs. Red is the most generally available. It has been treated with nitrates or nitrites (can't remember which one) to keep it red as corning makes the meat gray.

Hi Gb, corned beef dinner is really easy! Most of the meat even comes with a little package of seasonings.

I just boil/simmer it on the top of a stove.. but I'm sure a crock would work well. I always add carrots and small red potatoes to mine and cabbage towards the very end.

Good luck and enjoy!

Thanks guys. I have always been intimidated by this for some strange reason. I have no idea why. I don't feel that way anymore. I can't wait to make this now.

When you do it on the stovetop, about how long does it take?

GB it's also been in my experieince that simmered corned beef shrinks like crazy- that's why tomorrow I am making about 14 lbs of corned beef for 10 people- ok most of these people are gavones (sp)so I am making sure that there will be enough for seconds -nothing I hate more than running short and people wanting more- this has only happened to me 2x and both times was because I didn't go with my gut instinct and listened to someone else.

Always go with your gut!

I will just be making it for my wife and me and if my little girl like it she will eat it too, but she is little so she really won't make a dent in it :)

Gb... I cook it for a few hours... if I remember right. It's been a while.

Like a pot roast, cook it until the meat is tender. Two to three hours depending on size. As vicki said, they shrink like crazy so buy more than you think you'll need.

Remember to cut it across the grain as you would a flank steak. The leftovers make a great sandwich.

OK if I end up doing this in the crockpot and suggestions on how much and what type of liquid I should add? I am thinking I will have the corned beef, red potatoes, and cabbage in there.

how much depends on the size of your meat...
I just use water and sometimes a little beef broth for the liquid.
I've never made it in a crock but.. on the stove I make sure the meat is covered with the liquid. I add more if I need too as time goes on.

We do carrots, potatoes, onions and brussels sprouts in place of cabbage. If SO asks, I do turnip too.

Don't add any salt to the liquid. The meat will be salty enough without your help.

Right after St. Patrick's Day, corned beef tends to go on sale. We buy a few extras and freeze them for later. We have them in a few months but not as part of a boiled dinner. We have it with any side dishes we feel like.

So it sounds like as long as the meat is covered then I am ok. That should be easy with the crockpot. Would having the cabbage cooking the whole time be bad do you think?

It might get a little mushy.
Cabbage cooks so quickly though.. you could always add it after you get home.

I have never cooked cabbage before. Do you think maybe a half hour in the crockpot would do?

I also like Andys idea of using other things like turnip and carrots. that could be another way to go.

love the carrots.

I've cooked very little in a crock pot so... I'm not sure how long it would take to do cabbage Gb.

I always add carrots, onions and celery with the spuds and cabbage mentioned above too. I just add water with the seasoning pack that comes with the corned beef; some have said they use chicken broth. It has been so long since I cooked it in a crockpot.....does a couple of cups of water sound right?

please help some silly german:
what do you mean with "Corned beef"? What part of the beef is it? Is it raw? (over here in D you get corned beef cooked and with jelly in small slices to put on bread...)

Back
Top Bottom