Corned beef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rickell

Senior Cook
i have a question has anyone ever tried the canned corned beef?

i have seen some recipes that have called for this. is it good?

No. Only use it for camping trips or emergency rations. Just buy some deli corned beef for a recipe.

canned corned beef is chopped and formed (spam like). It is not a hunk of beef put in a can. It is good for a type of sloppy joe sandwich with bbq sauce and sauteed onions and peppers, and for emergencies. But it is not good sliced brisket. (You can also make your own hash with it with left over veggies.)

As far are corned beef from a can I have tried it but I wouldn't use it for my receipes. They have great sliced corned beef at the market in the deli section and they also have packaged corned beef that I have used.

Jill and Jolie

My parents used to buy it now and then for sandwiches -- until one day they went on a picnic with some friends who had a small cattle ranch in the back country of San Diego County. They refused to eat it, pointing out that it was not from the good old U.S. of A. (I think it was from Argentina). That was the last time my mom bought it. Good thing -- I've had it since and find it to be extremely salty and quite ugly looking. It would be OK in a bomb shelter or something, but otherwise I'd rather have a bowl of cereal.

Canned corn beef is a aquired taste, best eaten as a sandwich or as a side to eggs in the morning. Try cutting it into 1/4-1/2 inch slices lightly fry it and cover with catsup or bar be que sauce. It in no way is like spam, in both color ans texture. Both have there followings, you suposingly use them as fresh meat substitte, I can eat both but chose not to.

I have used canned corned beef in sandwiches with english mustard and it tastes ok, but not as good as the fresh stuff.

My dad also loves corned beef hash and swears by the tinned stuff - I take what he says with a pinch of salt as i swear he has no taste buds!

Not really fit for human consumption - except in a dire emergency. Unless you happen to LIKE salted sawdust, of course! :sick:

LesleyP said:
My dad also loves corned beef hash and swears by the tinned stuff

Likewise, on both counts. And I DO have taste buds!

It's nothing like the real thing ... but if you stop trying to make it so, it's got its merits. It's just right for corned beef hash, and corned beef hash is just right for a wintry night quick supper. I always have a tin in my cupboard for just that reason.

thanks for all your thoughts:sick:

i won't buy it:)

i normally cook my own corned beef i will just have
to cook one and save some for my recipes i would like
to try. :chef:

Didn't realize corned beef is actually 'scorned' beef. :wacko:

I grew up in the Philippines where corned beef is very popular and always comes from a can. Mind you, there it's considered at par with the other popular imported canned foods like Spam and Hormel Vienna sausages (vestiges of the country's American colonial past.) All these canned goods are considered relatively high-end because they are imported and expensive. There are local brands too and if you stroll though a supermarket in the Philippines, the corned beef aisle would showcase so many imported and local brands.

Corned beef is standard Filipino breakfast fare, sauted with garlic and sliced onions and accompanied by fried egg and garlic-fried rice. I grew up with corned beef, along with Spam.

Now I've grown to avoid salty and fatty foods. But I can't help but keep a few cans of Argentinian corned beef in my pantry for dire emergencies.

I've also on occasion tasted REAL corned beef with cabbages. Now does anyone have a TNT recipe for the real thing?

i love it!!!

sauted with onions or mixed with potatoes and peas

Back
Top Bottom