Corned Beef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nicholas Mosher said:
So who likes corned beef and cabbage? Pretty big up my way. Just grabbed a 3lb hunk of corned beef brisket along with some cabbage and roots.

Just curious how you guys cook yours. I was brought up with the "all in a pot with water" method staggering the addition of the vegetables for proper cooking times.
corned beef stock

hi........has anyone made a successful soup from the left over stock. I hate throwing it out, I have tried to make a soup but it is missing something???
Any suggestions peeps??

I'm not sure, there are some wonderfully creative people here but for me the left over water contains too much salt to have much use.

I use it in a 50/50 ratio with milk for the horseradish sauce I listed on the last page. Tastes great with a bit of mustard too. As mentioned above though, it can be a bit salty and a little goes a long way. I'd use some of it combined with other stock to make the base for a soup, maybe in a 50/50 ratio.

nick, i'm from rhode island and i grew up eating corned beef fairly often. i think it was referred to as a "new england boiled dinner".

andy m - thanks for the recipe. corned beef is not available here. some years back, before i realized i could look up everything on the net. i tried "winging it". pretty close to your recipe above, but minus the sugar and i only left it in the fridge overnight. it came out kind of ok, but maybe i'll try again this winter.
icon12.gif

"hi........has anyone made a successful soup from the left over stock. I hate throwing it out, I have tried to make a soup but it is missing something???
Any suggestions peeps??"

I've mixed it with low sodium beef broth in vegetable beef soup. A little goes a long way though.

I've got to try the clay pot method someone mentioned. I love my clay pot for chicken and also fresh herbed potatoes but haven't done corned beef in it. I usually do mine in the slow cooker with Guiness Beer for the liquid. Son says cabbage contamiates it like attie also mentioned so I usually cook the cabbage seperately. But hubby and I love corned beef and cabbage.

Back
Top Bottom