"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 02-06-2008, 07:00 PM   #11
Head Chef

I have had, growing up, corned beef and pastrami sandwiches in many Kosher delis in NYC.

If one has never experienced the food in those places it is worth a trip just for that experience. Come to think of it we have not been there in a while. Kosher delis, NY pizza, and Chinatown, a culinary experience everyone should have at least once or very often.

In the delis the corned beef was generally not cut thinner than one could do with a sharp knife and a cold corned brisket. In my HO you do not want wafer thin slices, just fairly thin ones, sorta the thickness of roast beef you can get at the deli counter. And those you can make with a knife, just make sure the knife is sharp and the meat cold.

Have lusted after a meat slicer for years but am a recovering gadget-a-holic with no room to store anything more and no real pressing need for the deli slicer.

BUT I WANT IT.

Sorry, withdrawl does not come easily. And if I don't watch 'Paid Prigramming' shows I can get along fairly well.

Hate to get on these tangents. But cold knife and cold meat and you can do just fine without the gizmo.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:32 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntdot View Post
Hate to get on these tangents. But cold knife and cold meat and you can do just fine without the gizmo.
Agreed

A good meat slicing knife is the Forchner's 10-12" w/granton edge. Will slide thru cold meat like melted butter.

"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon."
Mary Pettibone Poole
Ask-A-Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:11 PM   #13
Executive Chef

I would avoid the electric carving knife if at all possible. I've had one in the past, and it just rips meat up (think "sawdust" when using a saw to cut would; here, you get "meat dust" LOL).

I'm lucky, working in restaurants. I have access to a meat slicer whenever I want to use it, provided I clean it up afterwards.

I've worked in several places that sliced their own Corned Beef for Ruebens. The first was a steakhouse, and they ALWAYS cooked their meat from raw. 8 oz of freshly-cooked Corned Beef on marbles light and dark rye bread, with all the classic fixin's......wait, that's another thread.

The last two places I've worked (currently still working at one) were both country clubs. One of those always used precooked, frozen, Corned Beef, usually made from Eye of Round. The GM there didn't like Ruebens, and would take them off the menu after a few months, but the members would gripe at him enough that those sandwiches would return after awhile.

The club I'm currently working at has done both methods, buy raw Corned Beef, cook and slice it, or just buy precooked meat, and slice it. It just depends on whatever is cheapest at the time.

Dang, now I'm getting hungry for Ruebens. I may have to buy a flat, take it to work, cook it, chill it, and slice it, then take the sliced product home to make sandwiches. Probably get enough for a couple day's worth of sandwiches (my other half, PeppA, and her mom, both love Ruebens).
Old 02-08-2008, 03:07 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Its been so long since I had a corned beef sandwich at a good kosher deli I have forgotten how thin it was sliced..lol..I'll guess I will make due with what I have and see how it goes.
They showed a deli in NY (I forgot it's name) on food network, that piled corn beef on a sandwich about 10 inches high..so big, there was no way you could get your mouth around it. Seems crazy to me and a waste. People flocked to the place.lol
Old 02-12-2008, 11:07 PM   #15
Executive Chef

A steakhouse that I worked at in Michigan served a Rueben with 8 oz of corned beef. It wasn't as big as the one you saw, but it was plenty big enough.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:42 PM   #16
Master Chef

I love Rueben sandwiches, but was having the same problem with the meat. Also the brisket was just too greasy for me. At least now I know what to get and how to do it right this time around! Thanks y'all.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:48 AM   #17
Master Chef

My daughter is ready for Rubin sandwiches. [/quote]

mmmm I do enjoy Reuben sandwiches.

Tags
None