"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 03-11-2005, 09:09 PM   #11
Executive Chef

smoke it for a few hours and you've got Pastrami.

Old 03-11-2005, 09:14 PM   #12
Executive Chef

* Glazed Over. Give a tasty twist to a plain corned beef brisket. After braising it, remove it from the pot and put it in a baking pan. Make a glaze by mixing brown sugar and spicy mustard; horseradish and orange marmalade; or whiskey and apple jelly. Spread the glaze on generously and then bake the corned beef at 400 degrees F until the glaze is nice and bubbly and browned.

Old 03-12-2005, 08:29 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Corned Beef and Cabbage Stir Fry
Yield: 4 servings

2 tablespoons oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 small cabbage, shredded
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 medium tart apple, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 (1 pound) can corned beef brisket, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 2 teaspoons water

Heat oil with salt in wok. Add cabbage, onion and apple. Stir fry for 2 minutes. Add water and sugar. Cover and steam for about 10 minutes or until cabbage in still slightly crisp.

Uncover and stir occasionally. Add corned beef. Stir fry for 1 minute. Cover and steam about 1 to 2 minutes or until corned beef in heated. Add soy sauce and dissolved cornstarch. Stir until slightly thickened.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:27 PM   #14
Head Chef

I can only get corned beef here this time of year so I buy a few and freeze them so i have for later use. We love cornedbeef and cabage along with boiled potatoes and carrots. I always boil it but i have seen a few recipes here that were posted that I'm going to try too.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:00 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Point of interest: why is it always so salty? Or was I the only one who thought it tasted extremely salty. Potatoes didn't need any extra seasoning, cabbage and carrots tasted okay. I did put horseradish sauce as they felt plain horseradish wasn't as good, too strong. do you believe this? Want the sauce instead of the plain horseradish? Are they getting particular or what? I must admit it did taste more smooth but the fact I have to go back and forth to the store kind of ruins things. Am I getting crabby? Sorry. I do appreciate all your comments so much. Goodweed you always take such time and details I do thank you for your time. Very considerate.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:11 PM   #16
Head Chef

Dunno why I didn't see this thread before...

I bought a juicer/steamer last year to make jellies and stuff and the booklet gave instructions for steamed corned beef and I tried it and we both thought we'd died and gone to heaven! Tender, juicy, succulent and the cabbage & potatoes were perfection.

Tried it again not long ago but the corned beef looked to have been made from tri-tip roast and was much too lean to enjoy for the dinner but made wonderful sandwiches.

I'll definately do this again....there's also a recipe there for steaming chicken...hmmmmmm....and dumplings????
Old 03-19-2005, 09:46 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Okay, now you piqued my interest. What is the brand name of the appliance you got for juicer/steamer? You really have me anxious now to see if I can duplicate your comments. You make it sound so good. Thanks for sharing. Don't you get excited when something turns out to be so rewarding? You really got me interested. Thanks Sounds healthy too.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:59 PM   #18
Master Chef

Just for grins Kitchen ...

Corned beef is salty because it's salt cured brisket. The "corn" has to do with a grain of some kind about the size of a grain of wheat ... going back to olde Anglo-Saxon English. Thus, beef was "corned" with a coarse grain salt.

Shrinkage is a matter of temperature. If you simmer it low (about 120-F) for a long time there will be little shrinkage ... but the higher the temp the more shrinkage there will be. The proteins in meat begin to shrink in diameter at 120-F .. and just a little above that they start to shrink in length - the higher the temp the more they shrink ... and the meat gets smaller and tougher.
I generally wash my corned beef under cold water ... then put it into a pot of cold water ... bring it to the boil on the stovetop ... then place it into a 150-F oven about 10pm the night before I want to serve it for supper at 6-pm (about 18 hours cooking time for a 10-pounder).
Old 03-19-2005, 10:15 PM   #19
Head Chef

Where do you find a 10 pounder????? I would be way into overdose!

In, I'll have to look at the steamer and at this moment my little darling Gidgett is on my lap (where she belongs) and I just now sat down but I will certainly get it to you!

Yes it is exciting - my results so far have been delightful and I can hardly wait for the summer's bounty to use it for all sorts of jellies. The juice comes out nearly pure and undilluted pretty much and you can make fruit leathers from the pulp.

The steaming also helps in terms of shrinkage because it's a gentle way to cook.

We have a flowering plum just off our deck and it's not supposed to produce fruit but last year it did - big time! The plums are pretty small - ping pong ball size so to make much of them would be tremendously labor intensive - I didn't think about using the steamer until just recently. Since we've had such a warm, dry and early spring I think it will fruit up again this year and my head is spinning with ideas using the steamer! Don't even have to peel the fruit!

Plum wine anybody????8)
Old 03-19-2005, 10:34 PM   #20
Head Chef

Red face Steamer

Ok In The Kitchen....it's a Kronia Norpro and I paid about $70 for it at BiMart.

Tags
None