Country Style Steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

forty_caliber

Admiral of the Texas Navy
Moderator Emeritus
Country Style Steak
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Adapted from Texas Beef Council
Yield: 4 to 6 servings

Ingredients:

2 lbs. tenderized beef minute steaks
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup vegetable oil or bacon drippings
2 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon dried thyme

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.

Dredge the meat in the flour and set aside.

Add enough of the vegetable oil or bacon fat to just cover the bottom of a 4 to 5-quart Dutch oven set over medium-high heat. Add the steaks to the pan, being careful not to overcrowd. Cook until golden brown on both sides, 2-3 minutes per side. Remove to a plate and repeat until all of the steaks have been browned.

Remove the last steaks from the pot and deglaze with some of the chicken broth scraping to release drippings. Add thyme and remainder of broth stir until the liquid just comes to a boil. Return the steaks to the pot and make sure they are all submerged in the liquid. Cover the pot and place it in the oven on the middle rack. Cook for about 2 hours or until the meat is tender and falling apart.

After cooking remove steaks to serving platter. Spoon 1/2 cup of the remaining liquid into a bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of flour and whisk until smooth. Add to cooking liquid. Stir and boil until thick. Pour over steaks.

Last edited:
Oh my, I can see that going nicely w/mash and sweet corn right off the cob.

Your a turd, .40!;):LOL: My stomach is cry'n now.

Thanks for the recipe!

I tried the ones by On-Cor. Gross. And way too much for one person. I used to make it when the kids were small. A family favorite. I never thought to use the minute steaks. I just bought some. Great idea. A gravy with sauteed Vadalia onions, fresh mushrooms over smashed (kids description) potatoes. Or even a baked potato. I am so glad I am over my eating problem. I even gained back a pound.

When my kids were small Banquet used to have individual ones in a boil bag. I used to buy them for lunches on the weekend. Came in handy when you didn't feel like cooking. Served over a piece of toast. And the kids thought they were great. Four kids, four slice toaster, with peas mixed in. Quick and easy. :yum::yum:

.40, that sounds like something I would love to try. Copied and pasted. Interesting that it uses chicken broth instead of beef broth. Thanks for sharing! :yum:

Here in the south we call that chicken fried steak

It's about 1/2 way to CFS. Once the fritters have a little color on them, they get braised in a Dutch Oven. The result is a very tender steak (not crispy) and more of a pan gravy after cooking.

This sounds really good :) Could I use chuck steak instead? Since it cooks for such a long time it would get tender. Do you use minute steaks for a reason?

I'm sure you could use about any cut of "steak". We just prefer the minute steaks.

Thank you :)
I like minute steaks for fast frying but they are twice the price of chuck.
I think I'll use half of each and see if it's worth the cost.
Have you tried it with another cut yourself? Hope I'm not being a pain in the behind but I really want to try this :angel: It sounds soooo good!

Last edited:
Thank you :)
I like minute steaks for fast frying but they are twice the price of chuck.
I think I'll use half of each and see if it's worth the cost.
Have you tried it with another cut yourself? Hope I'm not being a pain in the behind but I really want to try this :angel: It sounds soooo good!

I have tried round roast cutlets and sirloin. They work in the dish but seem to take longer to get as tender. You could try tenderizing the cuts by piercing too.

I have tried round roast cutlets and sirloin. They work in the dish but seem to take longer to get as tender. You could try tenderizing the cuts by piercing too.

I Googled minute steaks and I see in the US what you call minute steaks are called tenderised steaks here. Wish things could just have one name in all countries :LOL:

Your choice of steak makes a lot more sense now. Sorry!
Your choice is perfect. Lingo mishaps :rolleyes:

I will be using these...

Here in the south we call that chicken fried steak

Well, maybe in Texas but in the true south, if you fried steak and then cooked it in gravy for 2 hours and called it chicken fried steak you'd get tarred and feathered and run out of town. Chicken fried steak in Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, southern N. Carolina, S. Carolina (states where I have family/friends) is minute/cube steak breaded, fried just long enough to cook (don't want to overcook and have shoe leather) and served with white gravy made from pan drippings, flour, milk on top. No braising, fry and done.

Minute/cube steak is kind of like squid for those that haven't used it. Either cook it for just a few minutes or a couple of hours. Hence the name "minute" steak.

Last edited:
Ahh didnt see the part where it was in gravey that long. Sorry. After cooking mine I place it in the gravy to coat it real good. Thats gow hubby likes it

Back
Top Bottom