"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 02-05-2011, 05:11 PM   #1
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Country Style Steak

Country Style Steak
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Adapted from Texas Beef Council
Yield: 4 to 6 servings

Ingredients:

2 lbs. tenderized beef minute steaks
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup vegetable oil or bacon drippings
2 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon dried thyme

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.

Dredge the meat in the flour and set aside.

Add enough of the vegetable oil or bacon fat to just cover the bottom of a 4 to 5-quart Dutch oven set over medium-high heat. Add the steaks to the pan, being careful not to overcrowd. Cook until golden brown on both sides, 2-3 minutes per side. Remove to a plate and repeat until all of the steaks have been browned.

Remove the last steaks from the pot and deglaze with some of the chicken broth scraping to release drippings. Add thyme and remainder of broth stir until the liquid just comes to a boil. Return the steaks to the pot and make sure they are all submerged in the liquid. Cover the pot and place it in the oven on the middle rack. Cook for about 2 hours or until the meat is tender and falling apart.

After cooking remove steaks to serving platter. Spoon 1/2 cup of the remaining liquid into a bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of flour and whisk until smooth. Add to cooking liquid. Stir and boil until thick. Pour over steaks.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:12 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

This sounds mighty good!!
Thanks!!

Old 02-06-2011, 10:16 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Good one. I'll put that on the menu for this week! Thanks!
Old 02-06-2011, 11:09 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Oh my, I can see that going nicely w/mash and sweet corn right off the cob.

Your a turd, .40! My stomach is cry'n now.

Thanks for the recipe!
Old 02-06-2011, 12:10 PM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Yum! Copied and pasted.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:04 PM   #6
Master Chef

That's a keeper of a recipe......thanks .40

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I tried the ones by On-Cor. Gross. And way too much for one person. I used to make it when the kids were small. A family favorite. I never thought to use the minute steaks. I just bought some. Great idea. A gravy with sauteed Vadalia onions, fresh mushrooms over smashed (kids description) potatoes. Or even a baked potato. I am so glad I am over my eating problem. I even gained back a pound.

When my kids were small Banquet used to have individual ones in a boil bag. I used to buy them for lunches on the weekend. Came in handy when you didn't feel like cooking. Served over a piece of toast. And the kids thought they were great. Four kids, four slice toaster, with peas mixed in. Quick and easy.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:19 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Yes, this one sounds amazing, thank you for sharing
Old 09-01-2012, 11:08 PM   #9
Master Chef

.40, that sounds like something I would love to try. Copied and pasted. Interesting that it uses chicken broth instead of beef broth. Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-06-2013, 03:05 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Here in the south we call that chicken fried steak

Tags
beef, recipe

Country Style Steak Country Style Steak -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Recipe By: Adapted from Texas Beef Council Yield: 4 to 6 servings Ingredients: 2 lbs. tenderized beef minute steaks 2 teaspoons kosher salt 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 3/4 cup all-purpose flour 1/4 cup vegetable oil or bacon drippings 2 cups chicken broth 1 teaspoon dried thyme Directions: Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Dredge the meat in the flour and set aside. Add enough of the vegetable oil or bacon fat to just cover the bottom of a 4 to 5-quart Dutch oven set over medium-high heat. Add the steaks to the pan, being careful not to overcrowd. Cook until golden brown on both sides, 2-3 minutes per side. Remove to a plate and repeat until all of the steaks have been browned. Remove the last steaks from the pot and deglaze with some of the chicken broth scraping to release drippings. Add thyme and remainder of broth stir until the liquid just comes to a boil. Return the steaks to the pot and make sure they are all submerged in the liquid. Cover the pot and place it in the oven on the middle rack. Cook for about 2 hours or until the meat is tender and falling apart. After cooking remove steaks to serving platter. Spoon 1/2 cup of the remaining liquid into a bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of flour and whisk until smooth. Add to cooking liquid. Stir and boil until thick. Pour over steaks. 3 stars 1 reviews