Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
This is in the process of becoming TNT as I type (so far it smells and looks great!).

Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff

2 lbs round steak, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup sliced mushrooms
2 tbsp flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp dried thyme, crushed
1 bay leaf
1 (14.5oz) can tomatoes
1 cup sour cream
Hot buttered egg noodles

Place steak, onion, mushrooms and garlic in crock pot. Stir in flour, coating steak. Add salt, pepper, paprika, thyme, bay leaf and tomatoes; stir well. Cook on low 7-10 hours, stirring occasionally. Stir in sour cream during the last 30 min. Serve over hot egg noodles.

I was going to say the same thing Barbara. I'm going to try it though.
I'm sure I'll like it.

Thanks PA

There are obviously two versions of Stroganoff, something like white stroganoff and red/pink stroganoff... and when tomatoes come into play, some use crushed ones, or puree, or even ketchup. This is a dish that originates from Russia, which is a vast country, I am sure there are different variations for them depending on the region... after all, if they are delicious, that is the important thing!!:)

The only problem I have is that if I use crock pot I use it because I cannot attend to the dish, so i would not be able to stir the suff. Would it be a problem?

CharlieD said:
The only problem I have is that if I use crock pot I use it because I cannot attend to the dish, so i would not be able to stir the suff. Would it be a problem?

Charlie, I only stirred mine once during the time it was cooking and that was towards the end. I think you'd be fine! :)

Yum-yum-yum! Recipes like this make me seriously miss having a crockpot! And reminds me that I should make Stroganoff more often (sometimes I make it with other meats, it varies the taste a bit, but the general idea is still there).

Piccolina said:
Yum-yum-yum! Recipes like this make me seriously miss having a crockpot! And reminds me that I should make Stroganoff more often (sometimes I make it with other meats, it varies the taste a bit, but the general idea is still there).
Though a crock pot makes this dish hands-free, so to speak, a pressure cooker will cook it in 30 to 45 mintues, and to perfection. So if you have a pressure cooker, instead of a crock pot, don't despair. Just build your stroganoff in the alternate appliance. If you have neither a slow cooker, or pressure cooker, then a roasting pan, with a lid, and a 175 degree oven will work just as well. If you have any ceramic, or glass casserole dishes, with lids, even better. There are alwaysa thousand different ways to make any recipe, and a thousand cooking techniques for cooking them. (well, maybe not a thousand, but many to be sure). And I almost forgot, anything that can be made in a slow cooker, can be made in either a well-seasoned cast iron dutch oven (or pan with lid), or enamled cast-iron pot, and on top of the stove to boot. Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Last edited:
GW, I agree about pressure cooker... I had never used it before I came to Italy and was always a bit scared to use it, but Cris had taught me the art of this lovely useful gadget (and ours have a triple safety device), and it is becoming one of my favourite kitchen tool!! I highly recommend it to anyone who has yet to experience the wonder of pressure cooker!!

CharlieD said:

Crockpot dishes really should not be stirred that often. Every time the lid is removed from the crockpot the heat escapes and the dish takes longer to cook. I used to do that all the time and wondered why my crockpot dishes took so long to cook. So, the less stirring the better. :)

PS, PA Baker your recipe sounds delicious!!

Goodweed of the North said:
Though a crock pot makes this dish hands-free, so to speak, a pressure cooker will cook it in 30 to 45 mintues, and to perfection. So if you have a pressure cooker, instead of a crock pot, don't despair. Just build your stroganoff in the alternate appliance. If you have neither a slow cooker, or pressure cooker, then a roasting pan, with a lid, and a 175 degree oven will work just as well. If you have any ceramic, or glass casserole dishes, with lids, even better. There are alwaysa thousand different ways to make any recipe, and a thousand cooking techniques for cooking them. (well, maybe not a thousand, but many to be sure). And I almost forgot, anything that can be made in a slow cooker, can be made in either a well-seasoned cast iron dutch oven (or pan with lid), or enamled cast-iron pot, and on top of the stove to boot. Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
Thanks Goodweed, you're right on we have do not have a pressure cooker either, but as you suggested a pot on the stove is the way I always make this dish (lol, even when I had a crockpot). My TNT Stroganoff recipe is one that I really treasure as it was handed down through the generations to me - only thing I change (aside from the meat sometimes) is to leave out my grandfather's rather untraditional addition of MSG!

I really like the idea of making it in the oven, as opposed to the stove top, thanks Goodweed, those are all very handy and helpful thoughts :)

This recipe sounds like a keeper! I'm glad it can be done on the stove as I don't own a crock pot. I am thinking of getting one soon though. Any particular brand you would recommend?

PA, I made this yesterday and am very pleased with the results. Put it on about 9 a.m. and dished it out around 6 or 6:30 p.m., I think.

To those of you who were dubious about tomatoes, don't worry. They totally disappear and add a nice piquancy to this dish. I used a can of whole tomatoes and squished 'em up with my hands first before throwing them in the pot.

The DH loves beef stroganoff. I will have to give this a whirl. How did yours turn out PA? I've had a crock pot for at least 2 years and have never used it, this will probably be the first thing I make in it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom