Crock-pot short ribs of beef: question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greg Who Cooks

Executive Chef
I used to have a recipe, probably came with my pot of crock. ;)

Sauted some chopped onions and throw them into the crock.

Browned some bone-in short ribs of beef and throw them into the crock.

Covered with BBQ sauce, your favorite brand.

Crock it (Davey?) for 8 hours low or 4 hours high.

-----------------------------------------------------

Past meet future:

Cooking for one, found a package of boneless beef short ribs, 1 lb., $6/lb., $6 bucks. That is around my upper per-serving limit but I went for it. I've missed this recipe, and too lazy to get out the crock pot, and anyway the pot is too big for this small a serving.

So today I chopped and browned the onions (until limp), threw them into a Corning ware casserole.

I browned the boneless beef rib meat on all sides, threw it in too.

Drenched it in BBQ sauce until all solid ingredients were submerged.

I'm planning on a cooking time of 4 hours, and I have my convection oven set at 200F.

Your comments?

Higher temp, less time. A braise at such a low temp is pointless. I'd cook it at 350ºF until your ribs reach an internal temperature of 190ºF-195ºF. You could add some other things to make it more interesting. Consider some mushrooms and other veggies of choice.

I've braised short ribs before but never with BBQ sauce. I braise in a cast iron dutch oven, and usually use some mix of beef stock, red wine, balsamic vinegar. Always throw in a couple of bay leaves, maybe a sprig of fresh rosemary, salt and pepper. Simmer for about 3 hours on top of the stove. Dang, I just had dinner and I'm making myself hungry again.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom