Crockpot Mini Italian Beef Sandwich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danpeikes

Senior Cook

1 3lb Chuck Roast
2 Green Peppers, Cut Into Wide Strips
2 Red Peppers, Cut Into Wide Strips
2 Large Onions, Sliced
5 Smashed Garlic Cloves
Oregano, Mustard Seed, Red Pepper Flake, Celery Seed, Black Peppercorns (To Taste)
The Green Part of a Whole Fennel Bulb
Enough Flavorful Liquid to Cover All the Ingredients (Wine, Stock, or it you must, Water)

Trim the roast of fat and connective tissue. Drop everything into a slow cooker on low, and let it cook until the meat shreds easily.

Serve on a mini French roll with the peppers and onions from the pot. Serve with jalapenos if you like a little more heat, a fennel and carrot slaw on the side, and some the liquid from the pot for dipping.

danpeikes said:

1 3lb Chuck Roast
2 Large Onions, Sliced
5 Smashed Garlic Cloves
Oregano, Mustard Seed, Red Pepper Flake, Celery Seed, Black Peppercorns (To Taste)
Enough Flavorful Liquid to Cover All the Ingredients (Wine, Stock, or it you must, Water)

Trim the roast of fat and connective tissue. Drop everything into a slow cooker on low, and let it cook until the meat shreds easily.

Serve on a mini French roll with the peppers and onions from the pot. Serve with jalapenos if you like a little more heat, a fennel and carrot slaw on the side, and some the liquid from the pot for dipping.

Yum! I copied this and will be making it sometime. Thanks.

looks good, dan. i've been wanting to try an authentic chicago italin beef sammy.

dan, do you brown (or sear) your roast first? i always do that to meats when later putting it into the crockpot. also, the liquid that goes into the cp is used to deglaze the meat searing vessel.

whaddya think? good or bad idea for your recipe?

tia.

btw, i love the idea of using the green parts of fennel. do you chop or dice it as you would celery?

Last edited:
looks good, dan. i've been wanting to try an authentic chicago italin beef sammy.

dan, do you brown (or sear) your roast first? i always do that to meats when later putting it into the crockpot. also, the liquid that goes into the cp is used to deglaze the meat searing vessel.

whaddya think? good or bad idea for your recipe?

btw, i love the idea of using the green parts of fennel.
Searing and deglazing will should give it more flavor just takes more time. When I did this I was looking for real quick and easy.

1 3lb Chuck Roast
2 Large Onions, Sliced
5 Smashed Garlic Cloves

This is very similar to my CP dish/recipe. I like the addition of the fennel. I serve it with shredded mozzarella and giardiniera. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Sounds lovely, thanks for sharing :)

1 3lb Chuck Roast
2 Large Onions, Sliced
5 Smashed Garlic Cloves

Back
Top Bottom