"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 03-23-2015, 01:37 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Different animal, sheep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
In the West Indies, goat, as food, is often referred to as mutton.
Yep. If you go to The Bahamas or Jamaica (and probably other parts of the Caribbean) and see mutton on the menu, at least 95% of the time it's going to be goat. Curry goat is actually quite good.

Goats are easy to raise, eat anything, and provide milk as well as meat. Domestic goats have escaped to the wild on many of the Bahamian Out Islands, including the one we lived on. There were both wild goats and wild pigs, and I know that the pigs were hunted by the locals. I had both roasted and jerk wild pork often at Max's Conch Bar (as well as curry mutton) - wonderful stuff.

Old 03-23-2015, 01:42 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Yep. If you go to The Bahamas or Jamaica (and probably other parts of the Caribbean) and see mutton on the menu, at least 95% of the time it's going to be goat. Curry goat is actually quite good.

Goats are easy to raise, eat anything, and provide milk as well as meat. Domestic goats have escaped to the wild on many of the Bahamian Out Islands, including the one we lived on. There were both wild goats and wild pigs, and I know that the pigs were hunted by the locals. I had both roasted and jerk wild pork often at Max's Conch Bar (as well as curry mutton) - wonderful stuff.
We see wild goats, donkeys and dogs in Aruba. The supermarkets offer goat meat along side beef and pork.

Old 03-23-2015, 01:43 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I looked up mutton on Wikipedia. It said that in Southeast Asia, mutton curry is almost always goat.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:48 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

While I had always known mutton to be mature sheep, it's clear goat is also referred to as mutton in certain parts of the world. Just to confuse issues.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:23 AM   #15
Head Chef

I went to Jamaica and they just called a goat a goat :-) had curry goat out there and have since made it at home . Jamaican curries are wonderful .

So no further thoughts on a curry forum ? Or even breaking it down into Meditteranean/European/Asian to narrow searches down a bit rather than the Ethnic umbrella which basically covers anything under the sun ?
Old 03-24-2015, 12:18 PM   #16
Master Chef

I would like to hear more about a TNT goat curry recipe.

My local supermarket carries IQF goat chinks and I've often wondered how people use them.

I think the only curry I've ever made at home is a Japanese curry using these packaged squares.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:29 PM   #17
Cook

What does goat taste like? I live in York and have checked out Morrisons, Tesco, Asda and Waitrose. None do Goat. Only milk and cheese.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:33 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Kid tasted a lot like veal. The other time I had goat was in a curry, so a lot of spices. It tasted like red meat.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:54 PM   #19
Master Chef

Since Kosher curries are not readily available I would love to learn more about making it from scratch. Please do post your recipes.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:13 PM   #20
Head Chef

Curried goat: Recipes: Good Food Channel

I think goat is like lamb. Desmond there are UK suppliers online , I don't think I have seen it in supermarkets , otherwise perhaps a local farm shop if you have one ? I have posted a link to a recipe I have used by Levi Roots . You might have to dig around a bit for all purpose seasoning , I get it in an Asian shop , but it's very important , a vital part of Jamaican cooking as are the scotch bonnet chillies.

Tags
curry