Curry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Desmond

Washing Up
Should we have a curry forum? I have created full menu banquets for up to 60 people and have recently discovered that an Indian woman commented on how nice my curries are. I DO NOT use jars of sauces. I was hoping I could have them published in some free cook book but I can't find anywhere to find these. So I may as well just send them out hoping my name remains on them.

A curry forum would be great as there are so many recipes out their. I have a folder on my computer with over 200 recipes. These are not all mine but downloaded and ready to be modified to my liking.

My recipes are in pdf format or Microsoft docx. How would I put them up in a way they could be easily read and downloaded.

We have the Ethnic Food section. Curry, not being limited to Indian cuisine, should remain being placed in with other ethnic foods. Otherwise, you would end up with a section for every cuisine.;)

true I love thai curry as well. Will look there but still need to know how to post the recipes best.

true I love thai curry as well. Will look there but still need to know how to post the recipes best.

There is also a Spanish curry and there are several variations of Caribbean curry - I know that curry mutton (goat) and chicken are common in both Jamaica and the Bahamas. Many curry blends have been developed in many parts of the world, usually incorporating some of the spices which are native to or easily obtained in those regions.

Savory Spice Shop has 30 curry blends.

Last edited:
I think a curry forum is a great idea actually . Curries are so diverse and are from many countries . Indeed we all have ethnic groups within the countries we live in but this is the internet . I find the use of " ethnic " on here a little confusing . I do understand not wanting to have a lot of individual groups but you could have groups for more popular cuisine , such as curry , and for others which don't fit into a larger group as "International " or a similar description , Foods of the World , with sub groups ? I wouldn't look in Ethnic for example for Spanish or English food but that's probably where it is . It's just an idea to perhaps update the site to embrace and attract people from all cultures and to direct new members to a specific cuisine ?

I agree with Gravy Queen. Curries is such a huge group that I think it should have its own forum. I even think that it should have sub forums for the various nationalities of curries with, maybe one, for miscellaneous curries.

There is also a Spanish curry and there are several variations of Caribbean curry - I know that curry mutton (goat) and chicken are common in both Jamaica and the Bahamas. Many curry blends have been developed in many parts of the world, usually incorporating some of the spices which are native to or easily obtained in those regions.

Savory Spice Shop has 30 curry blends.

Different animal, sheep.;)

Different animal, sheep.;)

In the West Indies, goat, as food, is often referred to as mutton.

Yep. If you go to The Bahamas or Jamaica (and probably other parts of the Caribbean) and see mutton on the menu, at least 95% of the time it's going to be goat. Curry goat is actually quite good.

Goats are easy to raise, eat anything, and provide milk as well as meat. Domestic goats have escaped to the wild on many of the Bahamian Out Islands, including the one we lived on. There were both wild goats and wild pigs, and I know that the pigs were hunted by the locals. I had both roasted and jerk wild pork often at Max's Conch Bar (as well as curry mutton) - wonderful stuff.

Last edited:
Yep. If you go to The Bahamas or Jamaica (and probably other parts of the Caribbean) and see mutton on the menu, at least 95% of the time it's going to be goat. Curry goat is actually quite good.

Goats are easy to raise, eat anything, and provide milk as well as meat. Domestic goats have escaped to the wild on many of the Bahamian Out Islands, including the one we lived on. There were both wild goats and wild pigs, and I know that the pigs were hunted by the locals. I had both roasted and jerk wild pork often at Max's Conch Bar (as well as curry mutton) - wonderful stuff.

We see wild goats, donkeys and dogs in Aruba. The supermarkets offer goat meat along side beef and pork.

While I had always known mutton to be mature sheep, it's clear goat is also referred to as mutton in certain parts of the world. Just to confuse issues.

I went to Jamaica and they just called a goat a goat :) had curry goat out there and have since made it at home . Jamaican curries are wonderful .

So no further thoughts on a curry forum ? Or even breaking it down into Meditteranean/European/Asian to narrow searches down a bit rather than the Ethnic umbrella which basically covers anything under the sun ?

I would like to hear more about a TNT goat curry recipe.

My local supermarket carries IQF goat chinks and I've often wondered how people use them.

I think the only curry I've ever made at home is a Japanese curry using these packaged squares.

maxresdefault.jpg

What does goat taste like? I live in York and have checked out Morrisons, Tesco, Asda and Waitrose. None do Goat. Only milk and cheese.

Kid tasted a lot like veal. The other time I had goat was in a curry, so a lot of spices. It tasted like red meat.

Since Kosher curries are not readily available I would love to learn more about making it from scratch. Please do post your recipes.

Curried goat: Recipes: Good Food Channel

I think goat is like lamb. Desmond there are UK suppliers online , I don't think I have seen it in supermarkets , otherwise perhaps a local farm shop if you have one ? I have posted a link to a recipe I have used by Levi Roots . You might have to dig around a bit for all purpose seasoning , I get it in an Asian shop , but it's very important , a vital part of Jamaican cooking as are the scotch bonnet chillies.

Back
Top Bottom