"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 11-27-2012, 04:22 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
They don't smell like juniper shrubs do they
Nope, they smell a little bit like gin.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:38 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Gin is OK.
I have about ten juniper bushes on one side of my house and every time I walk by (which is like 8x/day) it smells like I have a herd of cats living there

Old 11-27-2012, 05:48 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Gin is OK.
I have about ten juniper bushes on one side of my house and every time I walk by (which is like 8x/day) it smells like I have a herd of cats living there
Got any berries on any of your juniper bushes? If so, at least pick and squish one to smell it.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:32 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Nope, no berries.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:11 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Cheers for the recipe Taxy

Tags
beef, recipe

Danish Pounded Beef with Juniper Berries [SIZE=5][SIZE=3]This is a good way to use a tough cut of beef. [/SIZE][/SIZE][B][SIZE=5]Danish Pounded Beef with Juniper Berries (Bankekød med enebær)[/SIZE][/B] [SIZE=4]serves 4[/SIZE] [SIZE=4]700 gr lean beef[/SIZE] [SIZE=4]12 juniper berries[/SIZE] [SIZE=4]75 gr butter [SIZE=4](I used about 3 Tlbsps [FONT=Verdana]≈ 45 gr. Use what you need.)[/FONT][/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE=4]200 gr onion, chopped[/SIZE] [SIZE=4]2 bay leaves[/SIZE] [SIZE=4] salt[/SIZE] [SIZE=4] pepper[/SIZE] [SIZE=4]1 litre water[/SIZE] [SIZE=4] your preferred thickener[/SIZE] [LIST] [*][SIZE=4]Cut the beef in thin slices (~1cm – 1/4 inch).[/SIZE] [*][SIZE=4]Pound the beef well.[/SIZE] [*][SIZE=4]Season the slices with salt, pepper, and the lightly crushed juniper berries.[/SIZE] [*][SIZE=4]Brown the slices of beef in the butter, in batches and put aside.[/SIZE] [*][SIZE=4]Sweat the onions.[/SIZE] [*][SIZE=4]Return the beef slices to the pan.[/SIZE] [*][SIZE=4]Add the bay leaves and water.[/SIZE] [*][SIZE=4]Bring to a boil, then cover with a lid and simmer for an hour.[/SIZE] [*][SIZE=4]Remove the beef and some or all of the onion to a warm serving plate.[/SIZE] [*][SIZE=4]Thicken the liquid to a gravy.[/SIZE] [/LIST] [SIZE=4]Serve with mashed potatoes and lingonberry preserves.[/SIZE] [FONT=Verdana][SIZE=4]700 grams ≈ 1.5 pounds[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana][SIZE=4]75 grams ≈ 4-5 Tablespoons of butter[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana][SIZE=4]200 grams ≈ 7 ounces – 1 large, not huge, onion[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana][SIZE=4]1 litre ≈ 1 U.S. quart plus 1-2 ounces [SIZE=4][IMG]http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/members/33814-albums294-picture5222.jpg[/IMG][/SIZE] [/SIZE][/FONT] 3 stars 1 reviews