Deli roast beef at home?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jabbur

Master Chef
I would like to try saving some money on things and thought I could roast my own beef and chill it then slice it up for sandwiches. I have a rotary slicer to slice it thin like at the deli but I'm not sure what cut of beef to roast to get a similar product to the deli roast beef. Any suggestions?

I do this with lean cuts, such as eye of round, sirloin tip, top/bottom rounds, etc. Season, cook to desired doneness, chill and slice thin. I vacuum pack my excess & freeze.

Thanks. I'm headed to the store this afternoon and will try one of those cuts. I'm so tired of paying $8 a lb for sliced roast beef.

Well, I got 2 eye of round roasts and cooked them yesterday. Put them in the fridge before class. This morning I took them out to warm a bit and then sliced them up. It came out great! I "sampled" the meat as I sliced it so now don't need lunch! I have 3 packages in the freezer and one in the fridge. Thanks for helping with this. My hubby and son will be happy to have the fresh beef for lunches and snacks.

How did you "roast" this cut?

would it work very well served as a thick sliced Sunday roast with veggies and juice?

Thanks, Eric, Austin Tx.

You won't believe how much money you will save in the long run by doing the work yourself. Having a slicer that will do the hard work for you is just an added bonus.I'd be lost without mine.It never gets a break.

If you can next time you go out,look for a butcher shop.Most times the butcher's offer if not the same,or better quality of meat,as the super markets offer.Some at half the costs.I purchase all of my meats from a butcher,Whole roasts,chickens,sausages and such,by the cases.He then packages them up for my style of cooking.

You can get a large roast the round ones that have been tied with strings,cook it to your liking.Then slice it up.Cooked roasts slice better for me if the roast is at room temp.Slice it as thin as you can.Every bite will be tender,and fat free.The slicer (Mine anyways) removes the fat from the meat as it slices.I've managed to get slicing down pat.You can get several dishes out of one single roast.I have teenage boys.Can they put it away! Whew..I try to keep up. :)

It might be a little more work for you,but with the economy the way it is,buying larger cuts of meats,Ham,turkeys and such and doing the prep work yourself,saves more money.

Good luck.

Munky.

How did you "roast" this cut?

would it work very well served as a thick sliced Sunday roast with veggies and juice?

Thanks, Eric, Austin Tx.

I sprinkled it with a mix of garlic salt, onion salt and pepper and put it in my roasting pan with the lid on. Baked at 350 for around 2 hours (it was a little over 4 lbs of meat both roasts together) I may cook it a little less since we like it a little more rare that it came out but it still was good. Yes it would work for Sunday dinner but it won't be like pot roast and fall apart. I've served this roast before as a main course but this is the first time I sliced it thin for sandwiches.

Thanks for the suggestions ChefMunky. I live in the city and don't know of a butcher anywhere close. Will have to do a google search and see if there is one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom