Do Nitrites and Nitrates bother you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caslon

Executive Chef
Health risk? Who knows? Hehe, who knows?

Oscar Meyer has stopped using them in some products.

If there's even a controversy about it, where are the conclusive facts? It seems they're aren't any, so far.

I got to thinking about this after having made hot dogs a few days in a row that contained nitrates and nitrites . :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
The amount of pink curing salt vs that amount of meat cured is miniscule. These salts (cure 1 and cure 2) are much healthier/safer than potassium nitrate (saltpeter). I have no issue with it.

My body tells me when I've eaten too much deli meats, especially along with other stuff that contains.

It's probably the huge amount of salt in deli meats. I noticed that too, which is why I rarely eat deli meat anymore.

If I eat foods with high salt content I do not get the same reaction. This is a swelling of my sinus' and headaches.

If you are going to live on sausages, ham, tinned cornbeef and other preserved foods, it will probably be bad for you and some people are (for want of a better word) allergic to it. It's used to give the preserved meats appetising colour as salted meats would turn a rather off-putting greyish colour without it but the amounts used are (or should be) miniscule. "It has no value whatsoever as a preservative and should be used in tiny quantities as it will harden the meat, a tendency which is counteracted by the addition of sugar to the brine" (Jane Grigson "Charcuterie & French Pork Cooking").

Everything in moderation.

After all drinking vast amounts of water can kill you, too.

this popped up yesterday:

"Can jerky affect mental illness? Study suggests it can
The study found that people hospitalized for mania were more likely to say they had eaten jerky or meat sticks. "

"....But they ran some other experiments suggesting that the nitrates in processed meats might affect someone’s mental state."

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/heal...-mental-illness-study-suggests-it-can-n892541

I find stories like this dangerous. It offers no scientific evidence of a clear connection but "suggests" that there "may be" a connection, etc.

Stories like this cause people to make inappropriate decisions regarding what they do.

this popped up yesterday:

I saw that article too, about jerky now suddenly coming under scrutiny. I've never read of outbreaks of food poisoning or anything else from people making jerky or buying it.

Now to get back to my original question. Am I...Am I gonna die years sooner because I consumed too much nitrates and nitrites?

I haven't kept up with the final analysis, I may die sooner. Marketing gmmick or not, Oscar Meyer now touts their luncheon meats as being free of nitrites and nitrates.

I'm not ready to give up my nitrites and nitrates just yet. Nathan's bun length hot dogs. mmmm good. Nitrates and nitrites.

Last edited:
I find stories like this dangerous. It offers no scientific evidence of a clear connection but "suggests" that there "may be" a connection, etc.

Stories like this cause people to make inappropriate decisions regarding what they do.
With you on that, Andy!

I saw that article too, about jerky now suddenly coming under scrutiny. I've never read of outbreaks of food poisoning or anything else from people making jerky or buying it.

Now to get back to my original question. Am I...Am I gonna die years sooner because I consumed too much nitrates and nitrites?

I haven't kept up with the final analysis, I may die sooner. Marketing gmmick or not, Oscar Meyer now touts their luncheon meats as being free of nitrites and nitrates.

I'm not ready to give up my nitrites and nitrates just yet. Nathan's bun length hot dogs. mmmm good. Nitrates and nitrites.
L'Oreal are touting an, undoubtedly extra expensive, gluten-free shampoo

a) did shampoo ever have gluten in it?

and

b) if consumption of gluten by mouth is what does the damage for coeliacs, how many of them think they are supposed to drink shampoo?

there is a substantial body of peer reviewed evidence on nitrates and nitrites, especially in drinking water.

Last edited by a moderator:
We might soon see other packaged meat products being advertised as having no nitrites or nitrates in them, just to get on that bandwagon. I believe most packaged bacon has both those.

Are nitrates and nitrites not healthy?

Eat fresh meat, heh.

Last edited:
As far as nitrites or nitrates being in anyone's drinking water, I would think the nitrates in one slice of bacon would be that found in 10,000 gallons of water. :LOL:

Last edited:
I didn't show you guys the BLT I made for lunch the other day, with a gorgeous heirloom tomato from my farmers market [emoji39] Nitrates in reasonable quantities don't bother me.
0715181310b.jpg

It's probably the huge amount of salt in deli meats. I noticed that too, which is why I rarely eat deli meat anymore.

There is too much sodium in almost all processed foods.

I use pink salt to cure things like Tasso. But, by when I use my Tasso to make something like gumbo, I don't need to use salt in the gumbo, because the Tasso provides just the right amount of saltiness.

Like everything else, I think it is all a matter of moderation.

CD

Do you prefer to live longer, or live happier?

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

CD

I didn't want to bring on too much about nitrates and nitrites. It's FDA approved. Not harmful. I like nitrate hot dogs at least 3 times a week.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom