Does anyone dry-age beef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Over a year ago my friends Rusty and Alana Carter from Tennessee brought me 30 pounds of side which we turned into bacon-- We still have some.

I have done it a few times. I use the cheesecloth method. Just wrap the meat in cheesecloth, and leave it in the back of the fridge, uncovered. I change the cheesecloth every day. Take the old cheesecloth and let it sit in some salty warm water for about an hour, wring it out and let it dry to use again the next day. After about a week, I trim the dark, leathery parts off of the meat and it is ready to go. Pretty easy. Use your judgement when checking the meat. It will have reduced in size and becomes darker and more dense because it has lost moisture. But it should have no strong odor to speak of, if any.

Last edited:
I've used Alton Brown's method a number of times. It works well.

Dry-Aged Standing Rib Roast with Sage Jus Recipe : Alton Brown : Recipes : Food Network

I expect it will only be a short time before some naysayers will come along and tell you how dangerous it is to do this. And it's true that if you're looking to dry age meat for 2 or 3 weeks, that requires specific humidity/temperature conditions and calls for specialized equipment. But if you're just doing it for 3-4 days in the fridge it's fine.

I would be interested to see if this can be done easily on a small scale. Many years ago ago I dated a sous chef at Gorats Restaurant in Omaha, and once he took me down to their basement where they dry age their beef and it was quite the sight. They had whole sides of beef hanging in a temperature/humidity controlled cooler. The ones that were ready to go were nearly black. I still eat there now whenever I get back to Omaha and it is the best steak you can imagine. I have to admit I am a little afraid to try this myself but interested to know how other peoples experiment with this process goes.

Dry aging beef has crossed my mind, too, but it seems easier to just buy a calf, massage it and feed it beer :LOL:

Post up your results when you give it a try. Boldly go as they say.

Dry aging beef has crossed my mind, too, but it seems easier to just buy a calf, massage it and feed it beer :LOL:

Sounds like a perfect next project for you. It's a logical progression from making bacon.:yum:

If I had a calf that I massaged and fed it beer, it would sleep at the foot of the bed and would go for daily walks with Beagle and me. No way could I eat it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom