Does marinating a roast matter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caslon

Executive Chef
It's a 1 lb.petite roast I'm cooking.
I am wondering just how much a roast benefits from a marinade. I usually mix up a packet of McCormicks Bag-of-Seasoning marinade mix and pour it over the roast without marinating it that long. The reason? That mix adds nice spices to the outside of the roast so that when you slice it, the edge of the slices have a bit of a spice note to them. I don't have that mix this evening so I used my usual oil-vinegar-grated onion-Worcestershire-salt and pepper marinade. While it changes the color of the outside of the roast as it tenderizes, I figure that "tenderizing" is permeating the roast by only about 1/16" and it's not adding that many colorful spices to the outside.

I'll pat the roast with paper towel and salt and pepper it. 325F to 140F.
I'm having second thoughts about the the effectiveness of oil and vinegar marinades. I'm going back to a quick marinade of McCormicks seasoning packet with its more robust spices that add a nice spice note to thinly sliced piece edges. At some Albertsons supermarkets, their own eye-round roasts come out with a black coating around them. I'll have to figure out how they get that result. :mellow:

The best way to get flavor throughout the roast is to inject the flavors into the roast. You can buy a flavor injector and use any flavor combo.

That black coating on the prepared roasts usually consists mainly of crushed black pepper. It is mixed with a paste of Dejon mustard and rubbed all over the outside. If not black pepper, then a mixture of finely ground different herbs. :angel:

That black coating on the prepared roasts usually consists mainly of crushed black pepper. It is mixed with a paste of Dejon mustard and rubbed all over the outside. If not black pepper, then a mixture of finely ground different herbs. :angel:

Thanks for that Addie. I was wondering how they achieved that outside dark crust on their store made eye-round roasts.
The way they roast it, each thinnly sliced piece has an edge of modest herb flavor. I'm going back to using McCormicks roast seasoning packet. The outer part of the roast has those herbs on it after roasting, which adds a nice hit of subtle herb flavor to each sliced piece.

Minor vent.
I set my in-oven thermometer probe to beep me at 140F. But the damn thing shuts off to save battery power (I suppose).
Anyways, it should go into sleep off mode like it did and wake up at 140F and beep. It didn't. I gotta configure it not to shut off or at least come back on when it reaches the max temp I set it at. I must have not set it correctly.

Last edited:

Addie, might you have a guess as to how that store roasts their eye-round roasts for sale with that blackend crust? 325F is what I cook it at now. They must use higher temps to get that overall blackness on the outside?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom