Does skirt steak really need a heavy marinade?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inchrisin

Senior Cook
I've seen a lot of recipes for marinating skirt/flank steak in a lot of soy sauce, a lot of ginger sauces, and generally a lot of Asian style marinades. It just sounds unappealing to me to take an expensive cut of meat like that and strongly change the flavor. I think a little SPG and some light Mexican influenced spices would be about all the further I'd go with this.

Can anyone vouch for a soy/miso skirt steak?

We use flank in many preparations, but never used Asian ingredients in a marinade. I've been know to choose skirt over rib-eye on occasion when grilling. Just some S&P for seasoning.

Flank steak never used to be expensive until someone started making fajitas out of it, then the price went up!

When I was a kid I used a half bottle of Italian salad dressing to marinate a cheap steak and the other half for the salad, I thought I was livin' large! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I have also had flank steak marinated in lemon juice, garlic and olive oil.

I suppose it could be any acid, oil and aromatic, herb, spice combination that you and your family enjoy. Use what you have on hand!

When I was a kid I used a half bottle of Italian salad dressing to marinate a cheap steak and the other half for the salad, I thought I was livin' large! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I have also had flank steak marinated in lemon juice, garlic and olive oil.

I suppose it could be any acid, oil and aromatic, herb, spice combination that you and your family enjoy. Use what you have on hand!

+1 We did the same and to this day, I love Italian dressing marinade (Good Seasons) on flank steak and London broil. Score diamond shapes into the meat to help the marinade penetrate. A Greek marinade with lemon juice or red wine vinegar, olive oil, garlic and oregano would be good, too.

These aren't the most tender cuts, which is why they're usually marinated.

Last edited:
My mother used to just flour it with S&P, a quick sauté on high heat, remove from the pan and make pan gravy with the drippings. Then put the steak back in for reheating. And it was a nice cheap piece of meat to feed a family. Nowadays, it is way overpriced. :angel:

Last edited:
+1 We did the same and to this day, I love Italian dressing marinade (Good Seasons) on flank steak and London broil. Score diamond shapes into the meat to help the marinade penetrate. A Greek marinade with lemon juice or red wine vinegar, olive oil, garlic and oregano would be good, too.

These aren't the most tender cuts, which is why they're usually marinated.

+2. Absolutely nothing wrong with good ol' Eyetalian dressing (as some friends called it).

Skirt and flank steaks are expensive cuts because the retailers charge a lot for them, not because they are "top of the line cuts." All beef is too costly. Skirt and flank steaks are traditionally used with marinades as they are lower quality cuts. They are also delicious with a great beef flavor.

Last edited:
No, just cube it, cook it slow and long with some chopped onions, S&P, herbs of your choice and then you can turn it into a pie or add veg, eg, carrots, turnips,swede, peas,for a stew or go mediterranean with tomatoes, eggplant, mushrooms, garlic etc. I use it cooked with kidney and gravy for a pie that everyone loves with mashed potato on the side.

Flank steak never used to be expensive until someone started making fajitas out of it, then the price went up!
Ah that explains it. I was just thinking that skirt/flank steak is cheap here. However, it's started being called "Hanger Steak" and being served in steak sandwiches in some rather "select" café and restaurants as a delicacy so I expect that it will get more expensive as it becomes more popular.

Back
Top Bottom