"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 04-23-2014, 10:28 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Does skirt steak really need a heavy marinade?

I've seen a lot of recipes for marinating skirt/flank steak in a lot of soy sauce, a lot of ginger sauces, and generally a lot of Asian style marinades. It just sounds unappealing to me to take an expensive cut of meat like that and strongly change the flavor. I think a little SPG and some light Mexican influenced spices would be about all the further I'd go with this.

Can anyone vouch for a soy/miso skirt steak?

Old 04-23-2014, 10:43 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Sounds like the basis for many Asian dishes. Go ahead and do it.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:32 AM   #3
Executive Chef

We use flank in many preparations, but never used Asian ingredients in a marinade. I've been know to choose skirt over rib-eye on occasion when grilling. Just some S&P for seasoning.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:31 AM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Flank steak never used to be expensive until someone started making fajitas out of it, then the price went up!
Old 04-24-2014, 08:42 AM   #5
Master Chef

When I was a kid I used a half bottle of Italian salad dressing to marinate a cheap steak and the other half for the salad, I thought I was livin' large!

I have also had flank steak marinated in lemon juice, garlic and olive oil.

I suppose it could be any acid, oil and aromatic, herb, spice combination that you and your family enjoy. Use what you have on hand!
Old 04-24-2014, 09:16 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
When I was a kid I used a half bottle of Italian salad dressing to marinate a cheap steak and the other half for the salad, I thought I was livin' large!

I have also had flank steak marinated in lemon juice, garlic and olive oil.

I suppose it could be any acid, oil and aromatic, herb, spice combination that you and your family enjoy. Use what you have on hand!
+1 We did the same and to this day, I love Italian dressing marinade (Good Seasons) on flank steak and London broil. Score diamond shapes into the meat to help the marinade penetrate. A Greek marinade with lemon juice or red wine vinegar, olive oil, garlic and oregano would be good, too.

These aren't the most tender cuts, which is why they're usually marinated.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:22 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

My mother used to just flour it with S&P, a quick sauté on high heat, remove from the pan and make pan gravy with the drippings. Then put the steak back in for reheating. And it was a nice cheap piece of meat to feed a family. Nowadays, it is way overpriced.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:23 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post

+1 We did the same and to this day, I love Italian dressing marinade (Good Seasons) on flank steak and London broil. Score diamond shapes into the meat to help the marinade penetrate. A Greek marinade with lemon juice or red wine vinegar, olive oil, garlic and oregano would be good, too.

These aren't the most tender cuts, which is why they're usually marinated.
+2. Absolutely nothing wrong with good ol' Eyetalian dressing (as some friends called it).
Old 04-24-2014, 10:20 AM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Skirt and flank steaks are expensive cuts because the retailers charge a lot for them, not because they are "top of the line cuts." All beef is too costly. Skirt and flank steaks are traditionally used with marinades as they are lower quality cuts. They are also delicious with a great beef flavor.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:19 PM   #10
Sous Chef

No, just cube it, cook it slow and long with some chopped onions, S&P, herbs of your choice and then you can turn it into a pie or add veg, eg, carrots, turnips,swede, peas,for a stew or go mediterranean with tomatoes, eggplant, mushrooms, garlic etc. I use it cooked with kidney and gravy for a pie that everyone loves with mashed potato on the side.

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steak