Dried Beef - Where to buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donsabi

Assistant Cook
I live in an areas where I cannot find dried beef and hence no SOS.

I just made my first dried beef. I believe it came out a little more dry that I expected. It was salty but washing the dried beef in water before making the SOS did the trick. I will keep experimenting.

(The alternative is to order dried beef on line for about $12 a pound and add another $12 for shipping).

Anyone having any success with dried beef?

I use Buddig brand and find it at Food Lion, Kroger, Walmart, and Harris Teeter. It's usually in the area with the prepacked cold cuts. It may not be what you're looking for but we use it for our SOS and like it.

It's all over here, they call it carne seca, they use it in machacado. Try a Latin market.

We have it also. It comes in a small jar and can be found where the canned hash, canned stew, canned chicken, etc. is. It is usually on the top shelf. :angel:

I use Buddig brand and find it at Food Lion, Kroger, Walmart, and Harris Teeter. It's usually in the area with the prepacked cold cuts. It may not be what you're looking for but we use it for our SOS and like it.

I make SOS maybe once every 5 years and use the weird Buddig beef for it too.

That's what my mom used.

Old military term. Sh*t on a shingle. SOS.

Basically, creamed dried beef on toast.

Last edited:
Usually in a glass jar where you find other tinned meats (that is to say tuna, devilled ham, etc). But then, I haven't bought it in years. It IS dry and salty by its very nature, that's why you cook it in a fatty, creamy sauce. A lot of people make SOS using hamburger or sausage, crumbled, but the dried beef is the original, I think. Mom used to make it with a cream sauce, peas, and slices of hard-boiled eggs (and, yes, we were military). Anyway, I think Hormel was the brand I bought. Now that I think of it, husband would probably like it this winter.

Sad to say that Hormel's does not taste nearly as good as the chipped beef from the mess hall.

See if your market carries Dietz and Watson Classic Top Round Dried Beef.

It will be in the deli case and it is sliced to order. I think it has a little nicer flavor and texture than the little jars and pouches of dried beef. It is expensive but, a little goes a long way.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom