"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 01-18-2005, 06:13 PM   #1
Certified Executive Chef

DRUNK SIRLOIN

I have a new cookbook (new about 6 months ago) named Kitchen of Light by Andreas Viestad. HE has a cooking show in Europe (Scandinavia mainly) and the book is featured, naturally) I love this recipe, although he called it Vodka-Marinated Sirloin

VODKA-MARINATED SIRLOIN (Serves 8)

1 4-pound bonless sirloin roast or beef tenderloin roast
1 Tbs coarse sea salt
2 Tbs crushed black pepper corns
3 Tbs finely chopped fresh parsley
2 Tbs plus 1 tsp finely chopped fresh thyme
3 garlic cloves
1/3 cup grain vodka (he says grain because they also have potatoe)
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbs vegetable oil
4 Tbs unsalted butter

Rub the roast with salt and pepper. Place it in a resealable plastic bag and add the parsley, 2 Tbs of thyme, and the garlic and pour in the vodka and olive oil. Seal the bag and place it in a bowl in the refrigerator for 2-3 days, turning the bag twice a day so the meat marinates evenly.

Let the meat stand at room temperature for 1-2 hours before cooking. Preheat oven to 425F. Take the meat out of the bag and reserve the marinade. Heat a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add the vegetable oil and heat until hot. Sear the roast on all sides, about 4-6 minutes.

Transfer the meat to a baking pan and place a meat thermometer in the thickest part of the roast and place in the middle of the oven. Roast for 1 to 1-1/4 hours (25-30 minutes if using a tenderloin) turning once.If using a thermometer heat to 130F for medium-rare. Transfer meat to a cutting board and let it rest, uncovered for at least 20 minutes. Just before serving, pour the cooking juices and marinade into a saucepan and heat gently. Stir in the butter. Season to taste with salt and pepper and the remiaining thyme. Strain the sauce and discard the herbs just before serving.

I loved this, but cut it down for serving 2. He had interesting side dishes: oven dried tomatoes, ptoato gratin and parsnips and rudabega, and savoy cabbage with dill butter and bacon.

Old 01-19-2005, 07:42 AM   #2
Head Chef

Sounds like a good recipe for a tough cut of meat too. I have seen vodka used in several recipes.

Old 01-20-2005, 02:48 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Oh, YUM! Do you by any chance have recipes for those scrumptious-looking side dishes, too? **crossing fingers** And if so, would you PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE, post them? Thanks!! :D Well, rats, I was going to post you a flower, but can't find one . . . Rudimentary Computerist, thy name is leigh . . .
Old 01-20-2005, 07:48 PM   #4
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh
Oh, YUM! Do you by any chance have recipes for those scrumptious-looking side dishes, too? **crossing fingers** And if so, would you PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE, post them? Thanks!! :D Well, rats, I was going to post you a flower, but can't find one . . . Rudimentary Computerist, thy name is leigh . . .
THanks for asking leigh; the potatoe gratin with rutagbaga and parsnips is under the vegetable forum, and I forgot the other one(s) that was posted, I copied it from the recipe page so it is in his book if I did not include it. I will check my posting and if it is not posted, I will get it and do it tomorrow. Look under the appropriate forum and I shall post it there.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:09 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
THanks for asking leigh; the potatoe gratin with rutagbaga and parsnips is under the vegetable forum, and I forgot the other one(s) that was posted, I copied it from the recipe page so it is in his book if I did not include it. I will check my posting and if it is not posted, I will get it and do it tomorrow. Look under the appropriate forum and I shall post it there.
Thank you!! :D :D

Tags
None