"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 06-05-2013, 05:53 PM   #51
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
If you buy a whole cut of meat, such as a strip loin, ribeye (like roch's) they usually come in a vacuum sealed heavy plastic wrapper. Storing the meat in that plastic package and aging it is wet aging.
I understand that.

What I don't understand are the pros and cons of one method vs the other.

The wet aging appeals to me because it requires no work and little chance of error.

My gut tells me that dry aging is the superior way to go but, I don't really know why.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:13 PM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

I recall seeing one of those food shows, Steak USA or something, that showed the steak houses in NYC dry aging their steaks on racks in a climate/humidity controlled cooler. Of all the restaurants they showed none were wet aging, so I imagine there is a difference in end quality or a reason they went this route. None were doing whole loins either. They had the beef already cut into steaks. They did not show if they trimmed the meat or not.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:24 PM   #53
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Could you stop, trim and eat it at any time or once you start dry aging it are you committed for the whole duration?
Sure. You could eat it any time. We just chose a certain date because it was a long weekend and we planned to have a bit of a party. I would have been happy with 4 weeks, but it looks like it will be 5 weeks or more.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #54
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I understand that.

My gut tells me that dry aging is the superior way to go but, I don't really know why.
I have read that the meat has natural enzymes that break down the muscle fibers which would make it more tender. And by removing moisture it becomes more concentrated in size and flavor. Same principal as reducing a broth or sauce, I would think. Except this is a solid substance.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #55
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I recall seeing one of those food shows, Steak USA or something, that showed the steak houses in NYC dry aging their steaks on racks in a climate/humidity controlled cooler. Of all the restaurants they showed none were wet aging, so I imagine there is a difference in end quality or a reason they went this route. None were doing whole loins either. They had the beef already cut into steaks. They did not show if they trimmed the meat or not.
I am assuming the humidity is fine in this fridge. The piece is very dry, no mold is forming on it. It is about 8 feet away from the fan so there is good air circulation around it. I am not sure how much is going to have to be trimmed away. Your guess is as good as mine. We will see and I will take pictures of it for everybody.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Sure. You could eat it any time. We just chose a certain date because it was a long weekend and we planned to have a bit of a party. I would have been happy with 4 weeks, but it looks like it will be 5 weeks or more.
I see. I wasn't sure if there was a period of... chemical unrest... A period in the middle where it was unsafe as compared to the end result.

Carry on
Old 06-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #57
Sous Chef

rock -
been watching this thread; I'm surprised no one has ever taken the time to look into the dry aging thing.

few places dry age past 20 days - 'just so they can say..' and I'm aware of only one place that roams into the 30-40 day range.
you will find many opinions that anything past 10 days is 'wasted'
I do one week in my home fridge; I like the results.

your conditions:
34-36'F is the recommended temp; 2'C is spot on
humidity - this is a problem. recommended for long term is 75% RH at 34-36'F
the walk is likely more in the 35%RH range. you may wind up with beef jerky. when it gets too dry, the enzymes no longer do their thing.

from your last pix, that chunk is not likely to feed 8 people after trim.
dry aging over long periods is usually done in a special super-clean, uv-circ'd air-germ-zappers, etc etc.

as a Plan B you might want to consider hanging another pc at the "10 day before eating" point....
Old 06-05-2013, 08:34 PM   #58
Executive Chef

Thanks for the info. I felt the time frame was a bit long, but that is what he wants to do. I may try to convince him to eat it earlier. The walk in fridge is only a couple of years old and holds temp spot on. One thing I would like to do is get the piece out of the direct air flow of the fan. This may prevent it from drying out. I may try to move it into a mesh bag on a lower wire shelf in the fridge. Neither of us have ever done this to this extent so we are just winging it. I have done it in my fridge with 5 lb roasts and such, but never longer than 10 days or so but I'm not driving the bus on this trip.

Thanks for your interest and input.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:03 AM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire

i'm fascinated by this thread, rock, and i'm sure i'm not the only home cook who envies you for having both the professional equipment, and the "bus driver" willing to experiment with you.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:55 AM   #60
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i'm fascinated by this thread, rock, and i'm sure i'm not the only home cook who envies you for having both the professional equipment, and the "bus driver" willing to experiment with you.
That is for sure. I worked for a guy who would tell me "There's 6 cans of (blank) I'm never buying it again, figure out somehow to get rid of it." Then I would come up with something the customers really liked and he would have to start buying it again.

Tags
roast