"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2017, 12:50 PM   #11
Senior Cook

I love Manwich.

Old 07-09-2017, 01:57 PM   #12
Master Chef

Do you really need a recipe for Sloppy Joes? Just brown some ground meat, drain off excess fat, add barbecue sauce, heat through, and pour copious amounts over burger buns.

I brown my basic meat ball mix (2 parts beef, 1 part pork, one part veal) add Grandma's spaghetti sauce, and serve over crusty rolls. I call them Sloppy Giuseppes!

Old 07-09-2017, 02:41 PM   #13
Head Chef

Never tasted Manwich, that I know of. When it was introduced I was in a sort of hippie, eat the earth phase.

Come to think, might still be in it.

Old bachelor cook
skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:15 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman150 View Post
This is a recipe I got from my aunt and I make these at least a couple times a month, super easy and tastes WAY better then the canned crud!

I start with about 2.5 lbs of 90% lean hamburger. I find I don't drain the 90% and it leaves just enough fat for great taste but not greasy. Brown the hamburger on high heat until all of it is brown AND most of the liquid is also gone. It does take a while for the liquid to evaporate, you can drain instead but I prefer the flavor with that little bit of fat left in. turn the heat to medium-low. I don't have measurements for the rest, its really up to your personal taste. Ketchup and regular yellow mustard, probably 5-1 ketchup to mustard, Mccormick's chili powder (yes, using this brand is very important, it has a different taste the is perfect for this recipe) and Siracha.

The method I use is to add the ketchup first, I squirt it directly in the pan and then a couple small squirts of mustard. Add much less ketchup then you think you need at first, it goes farther than you think once it heats up. Sprinkle chili powder on top, I would say start with about a tablespoon. Then add a little or a lot of siracha, depending on how spicy you like things. Mix it all together well and taste it. If its too dry or too sour add more Ketchup, carefully, too much and it can ruin it. If there is plenty of sauce but its a bit too sweet add a little more mustard and/or chili powder. Once you have it right let it cook for about 5-10 more minutes to get the raw chili powder taste out and taste it one more time, adjust if needed.

Serve it on nice soft buns with dill pickle chips, I like tater tots on the side.

where's the small pieces of bell pepper???
Old 07-09-2017, 08:31 PM   #15
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
where's the small pieces of bell pepper???
No veggies in my sloppy joes or meatloaf, messes up the texture.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:00 PM   #16
Master Chef

I either just wing sloppy joes or use McCormicks. It's not the kind of thing that needs a recipe.

I often use turkey because it benefits from aggressive seasoning

Once in awhile I'll make Iowa Maidrites, which are a terrific alternative to saucy sloppies

Tater Tots are always a preferred accompaniment!
Old 07-09-2017, 11:21 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
We usually just add a bit of spaghetti sauce to some leftover taco meat to make sloppy Joes.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:19 AM   #18
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman150 View Post
Hmm never heard of that but I would try it. I use to use Van de Kamps pork and beans until I tried Bushes, can't go back to Van de Kamp now. I tried once, just didn't taste right anymore.
I always buy Bushes but I found they are too thick for sloppy Joes. So I keep a couple cans of Van de Kamps around just for that.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:34 AM   #19
Head Chef

I tried Manwich once, way back when it first appeared on grocer's shelves, and I thought it was pretty bad. Just did not like the flavor of it. But then I've always made my own since I was in my early teens, starting with my Mom's method, then adding or modifying as I got more into exploring.

I brown the hamburger with chopped onion. I make it with a splash of cider vinegar along with Ketchup and a shot of mustard. I don't use any chili powder (nothing against that, just never thought to try it). Depending on my mood, I may add some Hunt's fire roasted tomatoes to it too, usually the roasted garlic flavor. It's pretty hard to ruin it.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:09 PM   #20
Master Chef

Funny thing, I've been in America for 27 years, never had Sloppy Joes.

Tags
None